Author Topic: In regards to Opening SB Source Code  (Read 5813 times)

Offline ozzkozz

• Community Member
  • Force: 0
    • View Profile
Re: In regards to Opening SB Source Code
« Reply #80 on: 02-10-17, 23:06:57 »
Hey.  I haven't been around for a while but thought I'd drop in to see how things were.  Previously, I argued to NOT release the source code, but that was when there was a prospect for playing on a live server with a population in the foreseeable future.  There's no doubt that the SB team has expertly tuned and improved the leaked source code like no other team, but it's a game meant to be played.  It's corny, but SWG is an MMO like they don't make anymore.  It's a living, breathing ecosystem meant to be populated.  It doesn't really come alive with less than several hundred regular players participating in the stupid player economy that just irritates all the players who prefer the frog.  Polishing the SWG code to a high luster only to put it on a shelf is a damn shame. 

It's not up to me to tell people what to do with their work, and if their was a plan to run a perpetual open server that could handle thousands of logins, I'd cheer for keeping it close, as I did before.  Who wouldn't support the fruits of labor?  But if not, support what's left of the community before it becomes irrelevant.  In five years it's likely to be pointless, maybe sooner.  Open source the code and let people revel in the work and the game.
It was released last week... at least in part:
https://bitbucket.org/stellabellumswg/dsrc/overview

I just tried following that link and there is nothing there... Is it in a new spot?

Offline spaceguy5

• Community Member
  • Force: 6
    • View Profile
Re: In regards to Opening SB Source Code
« Reply #81 on: 03-10-17, 05:47:29 »
Hey.  I haven't been around for a while but thought I'd drop in to see how things were.  Previously, I argued to NOT release the source code, but that was when there was a prospect for playing on a live server with a population in the foreseeable future.  There's no doubt that the SB team has expertly tuned and improved the leaked source code like no other team, but it's a game meant to be played.  It's corny, but SWG is an MMO like they don't make anymore.  It's a living, breathing ecosystem meant to be populated.  It doesn't really come alive with less than several hundred regular players participating in the stupid player economy that just irritates all the players who prefer the frog.  Polishing the SWG code to a high luster only to put it on a shelf is a damn shame. 

It's not up to me to tell people what to do with their work, and if their was a plan to run a perpetual open server that could handle thousands of logins, I'd cheer for keeping it close, as I did before.  Who wouldn't support the fruits of labor?  But if not, support what's left of the community before it becomes irrelevant.  In five years it's likely to be pointless, maybe sooner.  Open source the code and let people revel in the work and the game.
It was released last week... at least in part:
https://bitbucket.org/stellabellumswg/dsrc/overview

I just tried following that link and there is nothing there... Is it in a new spot?

It is now incorporated with the Linux virtual machine on this website:

http://swgsource.com/

I believe it's been added to the Windows distribution also.