Author Topic: Where my Merc friends at?  (Read 1115 times)

Offline creditfarmer

• Community Veteran
  • Force: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Where my Merc friends at?
« Reply #20 on: 07-01-17, 00:20:48 »
<----  Holds breath & puts on flame suit..... I'm going in!"

Han was a Rebel Smuggler.
Co-Founder of SONS
Sqeeto Vandap - Elder Master LSJ Lowca>Bria
Kujoo - Elder MBH>MUSmuggler - Lowca>Bria
Grocer - MBH - Bria
Inkogneedo - MSpy - Bria

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
  • Force: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07-01-17, 04:44:10 »

Yes and no.

Initially, Han was neutral as he was working for the Hutt Cartel. He really didn't want anything to do with the Rebel Alliance and was only in it for the credits to pay back his debts.

He ended up joining the Rebel Alliance less so because he believed in the cause and more so because of wanting to protect his friends. By that point, he wasn't actually smuggling anything, so it would probably be more appropriate to classify Han as an officer more than a smuggler.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

First Daggerfall Emperor of Cyrodiil on Bloodthorn Campaign in ESO (2014):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2juurXQyAtQ

Voted best PvP Light Side Jedi and Melee PvPer on Shadowfire in SWG (2009, 2010)

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 64
  • A Relic of the Past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07-01-17, 04:54:07 »

Yes and no.

Initially, Han was neutral as he was working for the Hutt Cartel. He really didn't want anything to do with the Rebel Alliance and was only in it for the credits to pay back his debts.

He ended up joining the Rebel Alliance less so because he believed in the cause and more so because of wanting to protect his friends. By that point, he wasn't actually smuggling anything, so it would probably be more appropriate to classify Han as an officer more than a smuggler.

Well, I mean, he started off as an Imperial Lieutenant... ;)

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07-01-17, 05:14:57 »
Well, I mean, he started off as an Imperial Lieutenant... ;)
Good point! Of course, discussing Han's origins is actually "Legends" now, as his origin story is being rebooted and changed with the new film in 2018. Who knows what Disney is going to turn him into now.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Voted best PvP Light Side Jedi and Melee PvPer on Shadowfire in SWG (2009, 2010)

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • A Relic of the Past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07-01-17, 05:32:06 »
I genuinely hope they keep the officer bit.. :P

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07-01-17, 05:39:20 »
I think it's fitting and gives a bit more believability to his character. As long as Disney doesn't do anything crazy like turning him into a force sensitive or having him shoot last. I'm still skeptical of a Han origin film, but hopefully it turns out well.

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • A Relic of the Past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07-01-17, 14:27:16 »
I think it's fitting and gives a bit more believability to his character. As long as Disney doesn't do anything crazy like turning him into a force sensitive or having him shoot last. I'm still skeptical of a Han origin film, but hopefully it turns out well.

Aye, well, we can only hope. Disney's done well so far with everything else, so I can't imagine why they'd be like "Well, let's screw the pooch on this one"

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08-01-17, 00:15:19 »
Aye, well, we can only hope. Disney's done well so far with everything else, so I can't imagine why they'd be like "Well, let's screw the pooch on this one"

For sure. Disney wants to keep on making money off of what was a great purchase. They won't intentionally try and destroy Star Wars. I have a bit less faith with regard to the Star Wars Story Group, as how they've handled the canon is questionable at best. That being said, I will play Star Wars Galaxies regardless of what Disney or what Lucasfilm may or may not do to the franchise.

It would be interesting to see what kinds of new content the dev team decides to tackle once they've taken the game back to the final patch with everything before it was shut down. I think fleshing out a neutral faction on the ground could have a lot of potential, but at the same time could be a lot of work and quite messy when trying to throw that in the mix with imps and rebels.

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • A Relic of the Past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08-01-17, 06:11:32 »

For sure. Disney wants to keep on making money off of what was a great purchase. They won't intentionally try and destroy Star Wars. I have a bit less faith with regard to the Star Wars Story Group, as how they've handled the canon is questionable at best. That being said, I will play Star Wars Galaxies regardless of what Disney or what Lucasfilm may or may not do to the franchise.

It would be interesting to see what kinds of new content the dev team decides to tackle once they've taken the game back to the final patch with everything before it was shut down. I think fleshing out a neutral faction on the ground could have a lot of potential, but at the same time could be a lot of work and quite messy when trying to throw that in the mix with imps and rebels.
Ehh, I could see it working nevertheless.

I have a lot of faith in the Dev Team here and think they're honestly capable of pretty much anything they put their minds to...

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08-01-17, 08:30:53 »

I have a lot of faith in the Dev Team here and think they're honestly capable of pretty much anything they put their minds to...
I don't doubt the dev team's credentials. I'm just not sure how they'd pull off something that would probably create more problems than benefits. Everything in the game is built around Rebel versus Empire. Hoth, as an example is only built for two factions. Battlefields only work for two factions. Restuss could, in theory, work for a third. But, a neutral base with its own quests, gear sets, and GCW ranks/buffs would have to be created. Of course, there's also the GCW interface, GCW base busting, and Galactic Invasions which are also built around just two factions. I'm certainly not against the idea, but it would be ambitious and would require an overhaul of just about every aspect of SWG. It would really come down to a question of whether that's something the dev team would want to commit resources to.

Offline creditfarmer

• Community Veteran
  • Force: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08-01-17, 09:56:37 »
Well, he smuggled Rebels, ended up a General in the Republic and I had always assumed he leaned more toward the Republic because of Chewy and the circumstances in which the Imperials were at least indifferent in the Wookie slave trade & Wookie labor camps\spice mines.
Co-Founder of SONS
Sqeeto Vandap - Elder Master LSJ Lowca>Bria
Kujoo - Elder MBH>MUSmuggler - Lowca>Bria
Grocer - MBH - Bria
Inkogneedo - MSpy - Bria

Offline jadesuccubus

• Community Member
  • Force: 0
  • Star Wars Nerd, Med. Research and Accounting
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12-01-17, 03:01:47 »

I don't doubt the dev team's credentials. I'm just not sure how they'd pull off something that would probably create more problems than benefits. Everything in the game is built around Rebel versus Empire.

A thought from a resourcing standpoint: instead of a full on new player faction with its own NPC's, dialogue, quests, etc, it would probably be a much simpler matter if a similar solution could be done with as little development time and effort as possible via pre-existing assets. Eg, instead of design new armor for the neutral faction, copy the stats of a faction restricted armor, remove the restriction, and use a different cosmetic asset. Or in stead of blocking access to higher rebel/empire goodies, the neutral mercs can for example during a temp-join of the empire do the participation in empire stuff but their rewards are lower due to a "disloyalty" penalty. That's basically what Boba Fett did; and I think a lot of people want to be a badass bounty hunter, but it'll take more work to get FancyArmorSet1 as a neutral than if you were directly rebellion or empire.

Or, alternate solution, relatively-simple bounty and temporary allegiance quests available for neutrals, or use existing assets to help make a reputation faction for neutrals and throw neutral players into fights with either rebellion or imperial depending on which is in need of a population boost.

...anyway, resourcing aside, it makes lore sense for a neutral to want to have some affability for one faction or both but generally be free to go about their own interests. Eg, maybe you want to do some naughty experiments to make a cyborg-mech-acklay to put in your palace some day when you're rich so you have something more original than a rancor, and the rebellion is going all "your research is un-ethey-kaaaal! Stawhp!" so instead you do business with the empire, not necessarily to get access to imperial goods per se, but so that they look the other way on your activities (something akin to the empire's arrangements with the hutt cartel).

Or, vice versa, suppose your interests are more political. You have beef with a local imperial governor for whatever reason so the rebellion becomes an ally of convenience; let's say you have a financial stake in a weapon's manufacturing company that the empire is regulating a bit more than the rebels have the manpower and capability to, so you buddy with the rebels because you find it more viable an economic investment for this weapon manufacturer on that planet and the rebels are a more manageable neighbor.

A neutral mercenary could have any number of ulterior motives. That, and a lot of people probably want to be an awesome boba fett and own their own big shiny things some day. Possibly some city-building benefits / construction and town perks could be designed to help provoke that kind of backdealing.. though that'd be its own resource discussion altogether.
Hiiii!<3

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14-01-17, 04:00:55 »
A thought from a resourcing standpoint: instead of a full on new player faction with its own NPC's, dialogue, quests, etc, it would probably be a much simpler matter if a similar solution could be done with as little development time and effort as possible via pre-existing assets. Eg, instead of design new armor for the neutral faction, copy the stats of a faction restricted armor, remove the restriction, and use a different cosmetic asset. Or in stead of blocking access to higher rebel/empire goodies, the neutral mercs can for example during a temp-join of the empire do the participation in empire stuff but their rewards are lower due to a "disloyalty" penalty. That's basically what Boba Fett did; and I think a lot of people want to be a badass bounty hunter, but it'll take more work to get FancyArmorSet1 as a neutral than if you were directly rebellion or empire.

Or, alternate solution, relatively-simple bounty and temporary allegiance quests available for neutrals, or use existing assets to help make a reputation faction for neutrals and throw neutral players into fights with either rebellion or imperial depending on which is in need of a population boost.

...anyway, resourcing aside, it makes lore sense for a neutral to want to have some affability for one faction or both but generally be free to go about their own interests. Eg, maybe you want to do some naughty experiments to make a cyborg-mech-acklay to put in your palace some day when you're rich so you have something more original than a rancor, and the rebellion is going all "your research is un-ethey-kaaaal! Stawhp!" so instead you do business with the empire, not necessarily to get access to imperial goods per se, but so that they look the other way on your activities (something akin to the empire's arrangements with the hutt cartel).

Or, vice versa, suppose your interests are more political. You have beef with a local imperial governor for whatever reason so the rebellion becomes an ally of convenience; let's say you have a financial stake in a weapon's manufacturing company that the empire is regulating a bit more than the rebels have the manpower and capability to, so you buddy with the rebels because you find it more viable an economic investment for this weapon manufacturer on that planet and the rebels are a more manageable neighbor.

A neutral mercenary could have any number of ulterior motives. That, and a lot of people probably want to be an awesome boba fett and own their own big shiny things some day. Possibly some city-building benefits / construction and town perks could be designed to help provoke that kind of backdealing.. though that'd be its own resource discussion altogether.

A lot of interesting ideas. I do think you are onto something about having a neutral faction that temporarily aligns with one of the two major factions. Having a third, separate faction just isn't realistic from a design standpoint. Too much of the game would have to be revamped. However, it would be practical, depending on who you are and what you are doing (bounty hunting, smuggling, etc.), to allow someone who is neutral to align with one side or switch between them based on the circumstances.

That is far more manageable and could lead to some interesting dynamics within the game as players that are committed to one of the two main factions would never know if the neutral player can be trusted. It's definitely something I think the dev team should consider once the game has been released, the final patch of the game has been implemented, and they are looking at adding new content. There are a lot of possibilities with this approach and it would be interesting to see how it works in practice.