Author Topic: Stuffed Pets in post SOE Star Wars Galaxies  (Read 128 times)

Offline JekVanno

• SWG Chief Petty Officer
  • Force: 32
    • View Profile
Stuffed Pets in post SOE Star Wars Galaxies
« on: 12-05-17, 17:41:59 »

This is about SWG history and deco.  It's maybe a bit nitpicky, but one of the things that players always liked and highlight about SWG was the robust housing and decorating possibilities.  If SWG is going to start a new era of live, all the small things will count.  I'm going to try not to write a book on this topic.  Maybe bullet points will help:

-On SOE Live, pre-NGE Bio Engineers and Creature Handlers were two of the many game professions that got screwed.  When the NGE hit, many pets were unusable from the datapad and pet deeds were broken.  After a while, pet deeds became collectible as deco because they displayed a seemingly live creature when dropped inside a player structure.  If you ever saw a full size Krayt Dragon in a guild hall, that was an old BE deed.

-When BeastMaster was developed, SOE attempted to incorporate legacy Creature Handler and Bio Engineer pets into the new system as best they could.  Looking for ways to NOT screw old players again, they made old pets the sole source for some rare DNA.  Many players wanted to display these new pets like the old deeds, but other players who had paid millions for their collections didn't want to get screwed... again.  SOE developed a fairly ghetto new display system to try to satisfy both.  Newly created "stuffed pets" would display off holo-emitter-like pads and these new displays would not be movable like the old deeds.  If you created a new stuffed Hermit Spider, you couldn't flip it upside down and stick it on the ceiling in a web from the Halloween event.  No one was happy with it, but what are ya going to do?  It was SOE and most people interested were happily chasing mutations.

It looks like bullet points isn't helping much.

HERE and NOW on Stella Bellum, I pulled a couple mounts off the frog and radialed them.  They had a "stuff pet" option.  After being stuffed, I dropped then in a house and they displayed like the classic BE deeds.  Interested in recreating some of my old zoo (I had a Kimo and a bunch of other deeds in the basement), I set up a basic BeastMaster lab and started cooking junk pets.  I wanted flying birds in the house.  Yes, I'm a jackass.  I finished a Flit, spawned it, and stuffed it.  It appeared in my inventory with the stupid holopad emitter.  I dropped it in a house and... no creature displayed.  I'm not sure if the display system is broken, or that particular kind of pet is broken.  I'm going to cook some different creatures and test it.

The real point is, in more bullet points:

-The newer BeastMaster holo-emitter style display system was a bad compromise to satisfy old BE collectors.

-The new system is broken.

-There are no more BE collectors or "legacy" deeds.  This NGE is without history other than our memories.

-The old system of display obviously works, and is more versatile and satisfying. It also worked in the early NGE, so that code is in there somewhere, probably just pulling appearances from the game mob database.

-New stuffed pets should display like the old BE deeds.

[deco-nerd mic drop]

Here's what the lame holo-emitter-style stuffed pets looks like:

Here's an awesome Kimo for your house! The choice is clear.
« Last Edit: 12-05-17, 17:45:46 by JekVanno »
[TC Ingame] Jek Vanno and Replicant-VII    [Offers] Dantooine Pirate Outpost

[copy/paste]   /way orange dantooine 1228 -6132 Tech Outpost 7 -Dant Pirate

Offline warchild

• Contributor
  • Force: 2
    • View Profile
    • Community Planet Earth
Re: Stuffed Pets in post SOE Star Wars Galaxies
« Reply #1 on: 13-05-17, 00:00:00 »
One flying pet you can still drop is the reward list item mutant peko or something. Not in game atm but there are a few others. The krayt you mentioned was the Kimogila, was AWESOME in a building, especially upside down. Great post and topic. Force for you sir
A Fine example of Resource Based Economy in action. Plenty for everyone, all inclusive.

Offline JekVanno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-05-17, 00:58:55 »
Well, what I wanted was a few rasps in the house I've deco'd as a sanctuary.  Rasps are disabled from sampling DNA because  of LOS and targeting issues in pvp.  They do fly pretty high.  Flits were a grudging runner up.  The point was small birds. 

I'm cooking up a few more junk pets to make sure the holo-emitter-style display function is actually broken.  I got a Jax and some random swamp cat off Naboo going.

Anyway.  If I ever get my hands on the SB source code, I'll try to splice together a full reversion so stuffed pets drop in a house like an old deed.  There's no longer a reason for them not to.  The old function is already there and I'd bet $5 they are just pointing to an .iff in the mob tables.  I'm no developer, but you'd be surprised what you can accomplish with copy/paste, persistence, and some file name swaps.  Custom colors would be out, but in the NGE, the old deeds were just a generic appearance anyway.

Offline warchild

• Contributor
  • Force: 2
    • View Profile
    • Community Planet Earth
« Reply #3 on: 13-05-17, 11:59:48 »
I probably would be surprised, you seem to be on point brother. Looking forward to seeing what you cook up.
A Fine example of Resource Based Economy in action. Plenty for everyone, all inclusive.

Offline JekVanno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-05-17, 14:40:52 »
Hatched a tusk cat and leveled it up to CL5.  When stuffed, the pet does appear on the holo-emitter.  I'll have to try again with the flit after taking it up a level or two.  It would be easier to argue for agreement on a display change if the display system was broken outright.  :)  A fix or reversion is more complicated now since the idea was to preserve options.

Offline JekVanno

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-05-17, 06:22:51 »
Everything seems to display so far except flit.  None of the new style stuffed pets can be raised up off the floor.