Author Topic: Veteran Player from Starsider, Bloodfin, Ecplise  (Read 1325 times)

Offline jojobean

• Community Member
  • Force: 0
    • View Profile
Hello, everyone, returning player from Starsider, Bloodfin, and Ecplise, played from launch till the doors closed on December 15, 2011. Decided to make a account today and post in the forums watching and lurking seeing what this server can bring to the table, I am currently playing on the SWG Legends Omega server atm. I did have some questions if anyone takes the time to read this post.

1. What does Stella Bellum bring to the table that SWG Legends hasn't already ? (Not being sarcastic wanting to be convinced why I should start all over again on this server)
2. What will be the server capacity for this Live server once launched? Will there be multiple shutdowns a day like Legends to combat afk botting and to clear up server space so other players can enjoy the game actually playing?
3. How do you plan on doing the Veteran Rewards? Considering these rewards were for subscribing and staying loyal to the game over the years, do you plan to allow these rewards to be claimed in the beginning? Like the ITVs? Mustfaraian Bunker? Resource and Housing Storage Increases? XP Chips?  Or do you plan on gating them behind content ( which I am opposed)
4. How does the Badge/Collection system work here? Will a player be able to obtain the old Pre-NGE badges, and holiday and event badges that were on the live servers?
5. Will players be able to obtain Elder buffs or Elder cloaks that were rewards for the start of the NGE for being a Jedi?
6. How many characters can you create on the server? Can you multibox and be able to have enough characters to run all the professions on 1 account on the live server?
7. Will players be able to obtain Update/Chapter rewards like for example (GCW Terminal) and if they missed the rewards will they be able to obtain them some other way?

I suppose thats pretty much all I can think of atm, pressed on time today. If I think of anymore questions I'll post them here :)

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 65
  • A Relic of the Past.
    • View Profile
Re: Veteran Player from Starsider, Bloodfin, Ecplise
« Reply #1 on: 03-02-17, 04:55:35 »
Cracks knuckles

Welcome to Stella Bellum!

1) Stella Bellum brings to the table actual code fixes, in which Legends (Per what I've seen) has accomplished editing configs to "Fix" things. There have been very few bugs that have lasted for much time, and the times they do it was/is either because of a more important bug being "First Priority" or because it's a mysterious little devil. The Corvette bug lasted a while, but Cekis recently accomplished fixing it. Now the code is cleaner, easier to manipulate if necessary, and working. Just as a single example.

2) (As far as I am aware) The server capacity is not yet fully tested. There are events coming up to hopefully get a large portion of players online to see how well the server can take a large number of users at a time. I've personally heard nothing about daily shutdowns, and right now the Test Center stays online for quite a while before they have to pull it down for a couple of minutes to push an update. Stability is great, lag is minimal, and restarts are typically announced. There's the occasional restart that isn't announced, and the occasional crash. These, however, are very rare and are discussed shortly afterward.

3) This one's tricky, but they have a system in place for it for when live does hit. From what I can tell, some of them will be earned when it's the right time for your character to earn them (Ie, when you actually go to Kashyyk or Mustafar) -- But the Veteran Rewards are (Again, as far as I know) going to remain veteran/loyalty rewards. I don't know how they're going to go about it, and almost all of that is hear-say. The official word about this will be posted along with the announcement for Live, to my understanding.

4) Collections and Badges work now as they did during 16.4 Live. As with the rest of the server, as that's the patch Stella Bellum is currently getting bugs fixed with. I personally have completed a few different collections and received a few different badges, including a Life Day badge and title. I don't know about the Pre-NGE Badges etc, however.

5) This isn't something I'm comfortable attempting to answer, as I don't know. I haven't seen any official word about it, so I'm not going to assume.

6) The account system here is called "Nested/Sub accounts" -- You are allowed to have a max of 6 characters on Live, 10 for TC. You may run all 6 on one account, or one character per account. How ever you'd like it to be.

7) Not something I have any information on whatsoever.

With that, keep in mind that what I say is not necessarily official nor entirely true. This is what I have personally read from multiple places and majority of it is hear-say. My thoughts/opinions/etc do not reflect Stella Bellum nor it's staff in any way.

That being said, Welcome to Stella Bellum and I do hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

Offline Silent Guardian

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 111
    • View Profile
    • http://i.imgur.com/XPG8FNq.png
« Reply #2 on: 03-02-17, 08:29:26 »
Heyya and welcome!

1) SWG Legends is operating the SWGmaster code version of the leaked code. SWGmasters is a development-only project that several developers of Stella maintained and developed. The public SWGmaster version has several memory leaks and is intended for development purposes only, not running a server. This is notable by a mandatory server restart every few hours and limiting the city invasions to once every few hours, instead of running them every hour in another city.
SWGmaster was the base of this project as well, except the team has been working on bugfixes for two years - under the radar of everyone to avoid the project being compromised by well-known troublemakers in the NGE community. See the past 6 months development updates/history for yourself and compare to what is still broken on Legends, example: the bazaar. Darth and Cekis have updated the code to be built with today's c++ compilers and libraries (clang compiler/java libraries), all benefiting the server to operate more efficiently on modern computer hardware. Darth is avid about improving the stability, and is even tinkering on a full 64bit server version of the code.

2) There will be an event to determine whether more stability improvements are required or if it is good to go. The entire community will be informed about the event, as the reward for participants will be their position in the login queue for the live server. The event is ready to go, but one security concern has to be fixed before the event is launched. As of now, the server runs for days (if no updates are pushed) and can be restarted in less than a minute on a beefy server. City invasions are running back to back, with one invasion happening every hour. Darth's goal is to be able to run the server without ever requiring a restart, other than applying a patch.

3) Veteran rewards that were obtained through account age will be obtainable the same way. Items which were given for 'Free' (purchase of JTL/Complete Adventures/etc) have been redistributed throughout the game. You can find them already if you are up for it, but more hints will be given with the live announcement. I.e. the  Sorosuub Yacht can be purchased for 1 million credits from the Nova Orion vendor.

4) Badges as they were, if you could get them during the NGE you can get them now. If they are unavailable, then they are. We haven't had any discussions about the "Elder Profession" and other unavailable pre-NGE badges yet.

5) Elder buff hasn't been talked about, but Cekis had a few ideas about the Elder cloaks.

6) 6 characters per player. You can have up to 6 characters online depending on how you nest your accounts, if you use a multibox tool or not is up to you.

7) Items that are missing or unobtainable will be reintroduced at some point, regardless if they were pre-CU or TCG.
« Last Edit: 03-02-17, 08:47:16 by Silent Guardian »

Offline JekVanno

• SWG Chief Petty Officer
  • Force: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03-02-17, 14:23:03 »
Heyya and welcome!

1) SWG Legends is operating the SWGmaster code version of the leaked code. SWGmasters is a development-only project that several developers of Stella maintained and developed. The public SWGmaster version has several memory leaks and is intended for development purposes only, not running a server. This is notable by a mandatory server restart every few hours and limiting the city invasions to once every few hours, instead of running them every hour in another city.
SWGmaster was the base of this project as well, except the team has been working on bugfixes for two years - under the radar of everyone to avoid the project being compromised by well-known troublemakers in the NGE community. See the past 6 months development updates/history for yourself and compare to what is still broken on Legends, example: the bazaar. Darth and Cekis have updated the code to be built with today's c++ compilers and libraries (clang compiler/java libraries), all benefiting the server to operate more efficiently on modern computer hardware. Darth is avid about improving the stability, and is even tinkering on a full 64bit server version of the code.

2) There will be an event to determine whether more stability improvements are required or if it is good to go. The entire community will be informed about the event, as the reward for participants will be their position in the login queue for the live server. The event is ready to go, but one security concern has to be fixed before the event is launched. As of now, the server runs for days (if no updates are pushed) and can be restarted in less than a minute on a beefy server. City invasions are running back to back, with one invasion happening every hour. Darth's goal is to be able to run the server without ever requiring a restart, other than applying a patch.

3) Veteran rewards that were obtained through account age will be obtainable the same way. Items which were given for 'Free' (purchase of JTL/Complete Adventures/etc) have been redistributed throughout the game. You can find them already if you are up for it, but more hints will be given with the live announcement. I.e. the  Sorosuub Yacht can be purchased for 1 million credits from the Nova Orion vendor.

4) Badges as they were, if you could get them during the NGE you can get them now. If they are unavailable, then they are. We haven't had any discussions about the "Elder Profession" and other unavailable pre-NGE badges yet.

5) Elder buff hasn't been talked about, but Cekis had a few ideas about the Elder cloaks.

6) 6 characters per player. You can have up to 6 characters online depending on how you nest your accounts, if you use a multibox tool or not is up to you.

7) Items that are missing or unobtainable will be reintroduced at some point, regardless if they were pre-CU or TCG.

I didn't hate any of those answers.  "Veteran rewards that were obtained through account age will be obtainable the same way" made me wonder about the timeline.  I can't think of a vet reward that I can't live without, but there are plenty of paintings and I wonder if it'll be five years before we get them.  As for "elder" anything, I'm over any idea of endlessly transferable, closed-door, elite status.  If it's obtainable, let it stay obtainable.
[TC Ingame] Jek Vanno and Replicant-VII    [Offers] Dantooine Pirate Outpost

[copy/paste]   /way orange dantooine 1228 -6132 Tech Outpost 7 -Dant Pirate

Offline jojobean

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03-02-17, 17:07:28 »
Thanks for answering my questions guys :)  Nice to know the real reasons why the Legends servers goes up and down so much but there are some positives drops rates for collections are better due to the server resets and spawns. But considering from what you have told me sounds like the live server will be more stable. So it's looking like I'll be join you all over here when you launch live. And yes you mentioned trouble makers in Legends from the SOE live servers I know who you speak of 2 of them come to mind. And on a final note I noticed you spoke of not sure of what your going to do about TCG/Chapter rewards. Secrets of the Syren theme park is a good example to plant sone of the low end TCG stuff, Empire and Rememberance Day events are another way to bring in mid level stuff and other content that was broke and restored to full functionality. But either way back to work and thanks once again for sharing that info ;) probably pop in TC tonight and meet the community and play with the frogs

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 65
  • A Relic of the Past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-02-17, 17:46:13 »
Glad we could be of help to ya! Troublemakers come and go, there's always the occasional troll. Nice thing is, though... /ignore works! :)

TCG Stuff is still a bit of a tricky subject, to my knowledge. I believe they have a plan for it, but at the same time there's so much of it that it's hard to say.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do! :)

Offline jojobean

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03-02-17, 21:17:12 »
Do you have anyone currently outside the dev team working on the game possibly working on a graphics update to the game perhaps? I noticed SWG Legends is working on something called ILM. Here is a video link of the guy who is doing the work on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYPFpLXsMgg is this a possibility of something happening here down the road? Would be nice for SWG to receive a facelift :P

Offline Silent Guardian

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 111
    • View Profile
    • http://i.imgur.com/XPG8FNq.png
« Reply #7 on: 03-02-17, 21:36:29 »
Do you have anyone currently outside the dev team working on the game possibly working on a graphics update to the game perhaps? I noticed SWG Legends is working on something called ILM. Here is a video link of the guy who is doing the work on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYPFpLXsMgg is this a possibility of something happening here down the road? Would be nice for SWG to receive a facelift :P
An old version of the ILM mod is still available, alongside other various client-side modifications which you can find here for example, or you can snoop around on Mod Source if there are some NGE mod still available. The team focus is developing the server code, not creating mods :P.