Author Topic: New To SWG  (Read 1112 times)

Offline tride

• Community Member
  • Force: 0
    • View Profile
New To SWG
« on: 01-02-17, 20:42:59 »
Hello everyone! Joining from Europe. I'm new to Swg (never got the chance for joining into the epic world of swg when it was live) and i heard of this server. Really excited to be a part of this! Anyone want to share some tips for a beginner to the world of SWG? And can i feel the same feelings on this server if i was joining SWG on live era?

Offline Earthlocked

• Contributor
  • Force: 5
  • "Another happy landing."
    • View Profile
Re: New To SWG
« Reply #1 on: 01-02-17, 21:11:20 »
Hey, welcome to the fold, friend!
The best thing you can do, imo, is make friends. This game is really heavily focused on player interaction, and it's so much better when you've got people to hang out and do stuff with in-game.
Other than that, there's a section of the forums for tips and game guides, plus most of the sub-forums for specific classes have good stuff for those.

https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php?board=21.0
https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php?board=43.0

As for this server vs. live era, the test server is currently all we have, so it won't quite be the same. Once the live server comes up, though, it'll be just about the closest thing you can get!
Kyrana Aerin
Pilot, Scoundrel, Troublemaker

Mhiri Lunallis
Assassin, Saboteur, Twi'lek Freedom Fighter

Offline lasod

• Advisor
  • Force: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-02-17, 21:15:22 »
quick tips

all controls are adjustable, if there is a control you do not like you can go into keymapping and change it to something that is more comfortable

you can use a joystick or gamepad to spaceflight ( just make sure its plugged into your pc befor eyou launch the game and it will auto detect it and make it the default control for space )

dont just flat out sell your stuff to a junk dealer many things that seem useless can be used for the RE process to add mods to your armor, check the game guides section for things that are useful, usually people only buy them in stacks of 25 so hold onto the junk loot if you care to, though many people will be doing this and its rather easy to get so its up to you if you want to hoard stuff

* organs glands etc are trash
* enzymes have no value unless they are above 9% or if you are trying to level a beastmaster
* nobody wants any looted weapon untill you start looting things at higher levels, they will not sell on the bazaar so just sell them to the junk dealer
* clothing unless it has multiple stats should  be sold to a junk dealer

crafting is fun but you cant really make anything for profit while you are leveling. if you want to get into crafting jump to the crafting profession forums and ask any question you have

when you kill creatures be sure to check the harvest options via the ~ key Radial menu, anything with an overall quality over 900 has value - but unless you harvest more than 1000 of a resourse its not easy to sell

some non aggressive creatures can be milked, milk always has value because the process is a giant pain in the ass high Potential energy and overall quality makes its even more valuable

if you enter a cave or dungeon and you see someone else running around doing the same mission as you invite them to join you, otherwise you may be stealing each others kills or killing a boss that takes time to respawn and the other person is left waiting a while to complete their quest

sometimes a quest chain will seem like it just left you with nothing else to do, if you are stuck with no mission go back to the last npc you  spoke with and chat with them again. many times you will have to do this to kick start the next series of quests

watch you combat level, if you get too far ahead of your quest level your xp payout will be diminished same goes for grouping with somone that is a higher level than you, their assistance can reduce the xp you gain if they are much more experienced than you

well so much for being quick, :/

- screw you photobucket im not paying

Offline tride

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-02-17, 21:36:40 »
Thanks for all those kind answers! I looked up to the game a little bit and did some quests and some of npc's are walking super fast while fighting, is it normal or is it a bug? (or lag? :P my ping is usually 200)

Offline JekVanno

• SWG Chief Petty Officer
  • Force: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-02-17, 23:16:51 »
Welcome!  Find a guild to join when the live server comes up.  Everyone will be starting at level 1 and there will be lots to do.  If you decide to fly, ask around about piloting and visit the forum.  You can fly for the empire, the alliance, or be a neutral pilot.  Each of these three factions have there own set of ships, and the neutral pilot faction has three different flavors with their own qualities.
[TC Ingame] Jek Vanno and Replicant-VII    [Offers] Dantooine Pirate Outpost

[copy/paste]   /way orange dantooine 1228 -6132 Tech Outpost 7 -Dant Pirate

Offline JekVanno

• SWG Chief Petty Officer
  • Force: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-02-17, 23:17:51 »
Thanks for all those kind answers! I looked up to the game a little bit and did some quests and some of npc's are walking super fast while fighting, is it normal or is it a bug? (or lag? :P my ping is usually 200)

They do run fast... and sometimes warp through walls.  You get used to it.  :)
[TC Ingame] Jek Vanno and Replicant-VII    [Offers] Dantooine Pirate Outpost

[copy/paste]   /way orange dantooine 1228 -6132 Tech Outpost 7 -Dant Pirate

Offline tride

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-02-17, 09:06:00 »
Thanks for the warm welcome, i feel i'll enjoy my stay even if i play single :) but i'm excited to waiting for live server, until then i'm gonna get used to mechanics of the game on test server. Happy to be here!

Offline Silent Guardian

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 111
    • View Profile
    • http://i.imgur.com/XPG8FNq.png
« Reply #7 on: 02-02-17, 13:56:20 »
Welcome aboard!
If you haven't seen it yet, you can find a short web series for new players here: https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php?topic=249.0