Author Topic: Old Gorath Player with some question.  (Read 723 times)

Offline doomblackdragon

• Community Member
  • Force: 0
    • View Profile
Old Gorath Player with some question.
« on: 26-01-17, 13:24:37 »
Hello everyone. I am an old Gorath player back from launch to NGE. Sadly when NGE launched. I was already counted as max level. So jumping in at level 90 had great confused me. The game was so different and I was also playing WoW at the time I left. I heard NGE did get better and was recommended here.

So I did the Tansarii Point Station which was pretty fun for me. Got placed on Mos Eisley with the test frog vender thing. Played around with some weapons and more. Got a few mounts and pets. Yet now I am wanting to know. How much of the game is finished? Can I do quest to level up to 90? Can I do dungeons? How do dungeons work. Playing as a Commando I am guessing I am supposed to be a tank. Using flamethrowers to keep agro. Is this correct?

I am enjoying the game and look forward to playing with everyone. :)

Offline riggs

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Old Gorath Player with some question.
« Reply #1 on: 26-01-17, 14:37:33 »
Heya! From what I know, everything (more or less) is working on SB. You can experience the legacy questline, go to Mustafar, or whatever tickles your fancy!
Dungeons require a group (some of the so called heroics are possible to do with 2-3 people, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you're confident!), and offer challenging PVE content, with rewards being both drops, and jewelry sets purchasable in Aurilia. The heroics are reached at their respective entrances, and are located on different planets such as Lok, Dathomir, in space, Tatooine, and Yavin IV. The SWG wiki has lots of detailed information regarding these instances, including tactics.

As commando, you have two options. Either you go tank, using the Frontman's jewelry, or you go full dps using Juggernaut. A quick note for both is that you should ideally use a slower heavy weapon (aoe) rather than a flamethrower (cone). The latter is chiefly used to build dot stacks fast, but its uses are limited (especially as juggernaut, because you ideally want heavy devastation rolls).

I enjoy full dps commando the most. It's incredibly fun in group pvp and group pve, but in solo pvp it may be a little squishy. Regardless of what you choose, the commando is an overall strong profession that excels in both its roles, both solo and group. If you are experiencing the game solo and want to tackle some elite mobs to test your mettle, a tanky frontman's build may be  a good start.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want build advice, or head over to the commando forums and make a post.
You can reach me in-game on Riggs, Awock, and Geel, but we may be in different timezones.

Offline doomblackdragon

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-01-17, 15:12:31 »
Thanks for the info. Yeah I am going solo for awhile. Lol can not wait to get some armor. Yeah the NGE launch was so poorly done. It left me confused and not understanding the new system. So I left. I added you to friends. My commander is DoomDragon. Now why do you say the big aoe gun and not the flamethrower? I am still learning about the changes to guns and stuff. Would the flamethrower/cyrothrower not be good for dungeons/raids?
« Last Edit: 26-01-17, 15:14:09 by doomblackdragon »

Offline riggs

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-01-17, 15:16:54 »
As said, while the straight up dps may be equal, the flamethrower adds dotstacks more quickly. This is good, but the drawback is substantially less burst and the low but frequent hits may be highly mitigates by block. Not to mention the very low range.

However, for pve this matters a lot less than for pvp. In some circumstances, though, you may not be able to stand adjacent to the boss, or the target may run away while you self root with position secured. Range is always beneficial.