Author Topic: Spy RP League  (Read 454 times)

Offline stazie

• Community Member
  • Force: 0
    • View Profile
Spy RP League
« on: 10-01-17, 20:37:31 »
Would anyone be interested in forming an RP Spy League? Members of the League could be either faction.

Offline Trixie

• Contributor
  • Force: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Spy RP League
« Reply #1 on: 11-01-17, 02:27:59 »
The first rule of Spy League is that you do not talk about Spy League...

Offline stazie

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-01-17, 04:26:15 »
The first rule of Spy League is that you do not talk about Spy League...
Nice lol

Offline Trixie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-01-17, 04:07:00 »
Sorry, I know that wasn't very helpful. I love undercover RP, and there are some guilds on Starsider that never knew that it was me they were talking to. The problem with RP spywork is that everybody can see your character's name over their head, and even if they try to ignore it, it will still affect their behavior. Then there's all the people that just automatically know that you are that one rebel spy, despite the fact that you are a different height, weight, face structure, skintone, tatoos and/or hair, AND now talk (type) with an accent.

That's why, IF I make a spy, then it is actually the same height, weight and face structure of one of my other characters, but is never, ever online when that other toon is. They are a different color, background, accent, clothes, and especially NAME.

Actually, I spent about 6 months playing a spy within my own guild, the only one who know that this was my second toon was the guild leader, the ONLY thing that gave me away was when a couple of guildies were going through some guild event screenshots and realized that they never saw Clark Kent and Superman in the same room together (so to speak)

But, sorry, to make a long story short, my opinion of spy RP is that you need A) a person to report to, B ) someone to spy on, and C) people who are willing to be spied on, after they find out that you already have.

It's some of the most fun, fear inducing, and creative things you can do, but as for what you are talking about, I suggest that you first make a character that sells information. I also remind you that spy RP takes so much longer than any other kind to establish. I know a guy that literally spent two real life years standing in a corner of Mos Eisley and hiring people to find out things for him. He became one of the most ICly feared people on the server... before he had to quit because the BBC hired him as a writer. Which just goes to show that RP will definitely help you in your career.

Offline stazie

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-01-17, 13:17:03 »
Sorry, I know that wasn't very helpful. I love undercover RP, and there are some guilds on Starsider that never knew that it was me they were talking to. The problem with RP spywork is that everybody can see your character's name over their head, and even if they try to ignore it, it will still affect their behavior. Then there's all the people that just automatically know that you are that one rebel spy, despite the fact that you are a different height, weight, face structure, skintone, tatoos and/or hair, AND now talk (type) with an accent.

That's why, IF I make a spy, then it is actually the same height, weight and face structure of one of my other characters, but is never, ever online when that other toon is. They are a different color, background, accent, clothes, and especially NAME.

Actually, I spent about 6 months playing a spy within my own guild, the only one who know that this was my second toon was the guild leader, the ONLY thing that gave me away was when a couple of guildies were going through some guild event screenshots and realized that they never saw Clark Kent and Superman in the same room together (so to speak)

But, sorry, to make a long story short, my opinion of spy RP is that you need A) a person to report to, B ) someone to spy on, and C) people who are willing to be spied on, after they find out that you already have.

It's some of the most fun, fear inducing, and creative things you can do, but as for what you are talking about, I suggest that you first make a character that sells information. I also remind you that spy RP takes so much longer than any other kind to establish. I know a guy that literally spent two real life years standing in a corner of Mos Eisley and hiring people to find out things for him. He became one of the most ICly feared people on the server... before he had to quit because the BBC hired him as a writer. Which just goes to show that RP will definitely help you in your career.

Thanks for a well thought out reply.  I love playing Spy as does my good friend.  Not to mention we both had Spies on both sides so that their was always something to do.

It would take some thought and planning, but I think it would be cool to get a group of Spy lovers together and plan something out before we go live.  Maybe we can get together on Skype or Discord and plan it out.

Offline clingingmars

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-01-17, 02:58:37 »

Wow.

Offline ceman

• Community Veteran
  • Force: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-01-17, 01:58:30 »

Wow.
i am so down with this. i would like to add that adding an in universe ideological element to the group can make things much more immersive. could be a group of spies who are neutral in ideology and oppose both the rebellion and the empire in favor of a much more star system individualistic form of governance like a star wars libertarian movement instead the republic or the empire, like the way Corellians think XD. could have members working for the rebels and members working for the empire meeting in space on a POB or in neutral crime/smuggling oriented locations. just a thought.

Offline Trixie

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16-01-17, 05:11:31 »
So, while we are waiting, start sending messages to some of the other RPers who have said what they will be playing. Offer to sell them information, ask them who they want information on, ask them how much they would be willing to do to keep their own information 'safe'

Now is the time to start organizing, now is the time to start getting client names, target names, and contact names.

As for the spying itself, what I HIGHLY recommend is to log all your chat.  Then you can go through the text logs and put together conversations that were in the open. We will not have the 'old' language system, so your chats will not be in english if you are not a rodian listening to other rodians (so to speak). The languages are simple letter substitutions, so as long as you can identify the language, you can do a 'find and replace' and eventually get enough of the letters to halfway figure out what they were talking about. Which also means that if you are openly plotting something, don't assume that nobody else understands Doshan or whatever. Speak in code as well as other languages.

The best RPers will indeed speak of what they are doing in a cantina to give other RPers the chance to participate on the convoy raid, or IMP shakedown or whatever. The best RPers know that it's simple to keep the information secret, just talk in guild or group or /tell, but that will cut out the 'danger' and fun of having your plans turned upside down. BUT, that also relies on the spies not God-moding their information acquisition, being honest that a whisper in a room a floor down and 3 rooms away will NOT be heard in the entry hall of a house.

This also brings up 'structured RP' which is when someone is creating a story for many people to share in, it's much more 'strict' or 'regulated' than 'free form RP' (which is also known as Cantina RP even though it's not usually in the cantinas, lol)
Structured RP requires a level of cooperation from all sides, it requires people to not step out of their 'niche' in the story and to focus on the outcome of the plot, not their own RP within it. Don't get me wrong, taking part in structured RP is very fulfilling and worthwhile and it leads to many, many more instances of free form RP after the story scene is over. It just takes a different kind of focus and if you can't let someone else call the shots, then you should just wait until it's over and pick up from there.

So, go out there and make contacts, clients, targets, and most importantly, HAVE FUN.