Author Topic: How do YOU RP?  (Read 518 times)

Offline OneWithTheForks

• Community Veteran
  • Force: 5
  • In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
    • View Profile
How do YOU RP?
« on: 09-01-17, 23:58:22 »
  Okay, bear with me here. I'm relatively new to SWG. Played maybe five minutes of Live at a friend's back in the day, and I've spent a little bit of time in SWGEmu. I'm also kind of a noob when it comes to role-playing in an actual multiplayer game.
  My question isn't so much what's the "right" way to RP, just how do you like to do it? What are your methods? Do you like to stay in-character all the time, even when no one else is around, or do you only get into character during an actual RP event? Do you stay in-character when dealing with someone who doesn't role play? Any particular RPing highlights that have stuck with you?

Again, there are no right or wrong answers here, I just want to see other folk's ideas and preferences. Stories, tips...anything you want to share. See if I can't learn something before jumping into the pool. :)
[TC Toons]

Gavriel Roake - Squint Pilot, Storm Five, Proud Member of the Empire's Finest  -

Jenniveve K'Barrek - Problem Solver, Problem Starter, Snarky Captain of the Bad Luck Baby -

Offline snowball2052

• Contributor
  • Force: 0
  • skrub
    • View Profile
Re: How do YOU RP?
« Reply #1 on: 10-01-17, 03:07:12 »
Personally I stay IC when im RPing with someone. Remember, from my experience: "" = Talking, so does blank, () = OOC, Out of character. You can also use /ooc for this. ** = Doing an action when /emote won't work.

Not really sure how to answer this, but I personally find it best to go IC when you find other roleplayers who are IC, or after you make an arrangement to be IC with someone, AKA starting an RP
I'm bad at writing long messages.

Offline kakei

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-01-17, 13:54:08 »
Its really a total judgement call. My guild back in the day was pretty into RP, and when we did events it was always IC. But if a few of us went to go do an instance or a quest, or a high level hunt, we would just stay OOC. Was easier that way. You kind of learned which guilds were RP as far as running into them in public places. Its really about learning your server and learning your people, some of the best RP was done completely spontaneously and unplanned. We always used (( xxxxx )) for OOC communication, unless it was pre determined that we'd be OOC for the duration.
Kakei Oiricap
Kettemoor Vet since Launch
Obsidian  Dagger Squadron <ODS>

Offline Zaydah

• Community Veteran
  • Force: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-01-17, 20:36:33 »
IN regards to staying in character, there were times that even alone i was in character.  Usually when I was working through a story and trying to get a feel for how my character would react or where would they go, or just because I was bored. As for in character it depended on who i was with and what was going on.  I tend to get sidetracked easily so I tended to stay in character better when those around me did as well.  Most of the time it was spatial for IC and group chat for OCC, unless it was for comms.

Offline jadesuccubus

• Community Member
  • Star Wars Nerd, Med. Research and Accounting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-01-17, 22:02:38 »
Personally, I am a fan of a mix of RP/Non-RP depending on the circumstances. I used to be a priest in Tera, but became interested in SWG-emu after the blessings / buffs I gave people were made to vanish once they went into a dungeon, since I liked handing out little stat presents, and Entertainer/Officer appealed to me when I read about the classes. I made an entertainer on the test server and am loving the little custom-buff effects in the artiste tree that I can give to people. But since I like helping people and doing that kind of stuff, there'd be a lot of circumstances where someone asks "what is the key to open the map" and it would be (in my opinion) thoroughly irritating were they to receive "what is this map key thing you speak of human?" - a main point about RPing is not being obnoxious about it.

I can be nice to people and give them little dancer buffs, but if someone is looking for specific information, RPing can obstruct it; and those that don't care for it would find it frustrating, which I saw contribute to the stereotype of RPers being unhelpful snobs in some WoW servers. So my rule of thumb is RP until it reaches the point of costing pragmatism, at which point I sortof houserule myself as my character and my character as myself (cause I based my character off of myself) where I can just politely give them information and instructions that are OOC but still IC, sortof... you know what I mean. I guess I consider it a bit of OOC that's actually IC for pragmatic/technical/support reasons, as odd as that may sound, cause I/my-character would try to be helpful and that's an IC thing even if it uses OOC information.
Hiiii!<3

Offline Rpixar82

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-01-17, 15:36:09 »
well I stay ooc when im doing  my  term missions etc, unless im with a group of roleplayers, then I will go ic , but I mostly rp after ive done my mission work for the night .

Offline Earthlocked

• Contributor
  • "Another happy landing."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-01-17, 17:21:21 »
I usually treat RP the same way I do in a tabletop RPG. I play a lot of D&D, and I have a lot of experience in other systems, so roleplaying at this point is kind of second-nature to me.
As far as my experience in SWG, I've usually used regular chat for IC, and group chat for OOC; it's just kinda made sense to me that way.
And I'm kinda with Zaydah on the whole staying in-character while solo thing. I do that with single-player games too, tbh. That's kinda the fun of an RPG for me.
Kyrana Aerin
Pilot, Scoundrel, Troublemaker

Mhiri Lunallis
Assassin, Saboteur, Twi'lek Freedom Fighter

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 64
  • A Relic of the Past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-01-17, 18:38:59 »
That's an excellent question that you'll get many mixed responses on. There are a lot of forms of RP out there, and some are a bit different than others (Some are a LOT different than others....)

Myself, I like to do casual RP. All of my characters are family-oriented and have child-characters that marry and get a new surname with others of my characters. Essentially, the list goes as such.

Eldest Male + Eldest Female > Son+Wife > Daughter+Husband

That's just with the 6 cap. If I have more as I do on TC, the list expands to brothers and sisters alike. (No, I don't ERP with them... just... no...)

That said - they are all Imperial Aligned because the Eldest combos grew up in the Core System and left behind a deep rooted Imperial loyalty in the family.

THAT said - they all serve as Imperial Combatants and Special Forces. They are also, however, attempting to put a peaceful end to the Rebellion and have connections in the Rebel Alliance that the Empire is aware of. Having received approval from the Imperial Government to have these connections peacefully, they attempt to create peace by working alongside Rebels with anything that is not Military-Related.

They do know, however, that should their connections meet them in the face of war, no side will hold back from firing on one another. We're not quite that naive.

Anyways. Just a peek at my RP style. I've done patrols on Live SWG and I've done Space RP in a TIE Interceptor in the past, as well.

Offline OneWithTheForks

• Community Veteran
  • In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30-01-17, 22:14:29 »
Great responses, guys! Keep 'em coming! Brought up some interesting points that I hadn't considered, too. It's also nice to know that other people solo RP in an MMO sometimes. I don't feel so weird now. XD

Myself, I like to do casual RP. All of my characters are family-oriented and have child-characters that marry and get a new surname with others of my characters. Essentially, the list goes as such.

Eldest Male + Eldest Female > Son+Wife > Daughter+Husband

That's a really interesting way of going about it. I like how you've fleshed out an in-universe backstory to go with them. I love delving into characters' histories and personalities like that.

Many, MANY years ago during my “writing” phase, I developed an entire squadron of Rebel/New Republic pilots with the intention of writing short stories about them. Kind of like a knock-off Rogue Squadron, I guess...lol. Anyway, I don’t write that much anymore, but I still come up with storylines in my head, develop those characters, and add more characters as I think of things. I’ve even branched out to creating a few characters for a “rival” Imperial squadron (my current TC toon is loosely based on said Imperial squadron's CO, and I may remake him for Live as I've been having a good time with him).

So I have this ridiculous roster of characters that have no purpose other than to entertain me. I'm going to pull at least a couple of my in-game toons from that.
[TC Toons]

Gavriel Roake - Squint Pilot, Storm Five, Proud Member of the Empire's Finest  -

Jenniveve K'Barrek - Problem Solver, Problem Starter, Snarky Captain of the Bad Luck Baby -