Author Topic: One account per IP address?  (Read 432 times)

Offline kryyss

• Community Member
  • Force: 0
    • View Profile
One account per IP address?
« on: 09-01-17, 21:50:48 »
I have to say that I understand that there is a need to limit duel-boxing, but in reality this actually causes issues for people who have more than one person in a household who want to play the game. I have two daughters who want to play but it isn't possible to register accounts for them due to this IP restriction. Since only the main account is also the only one allowed on the live server that means one character per household which really isn't very fair.

Please can you revisit this restriction and ask yourselves if the restriction is going to benefit the community or hinder it.

Offline ahdinko

• Community Member
    • View Profile
Re: One account per IP address?
« Reply #1 on: 09-01-17, 22:36:44 »

Offline Trixie

• Contributor
  • Force: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-01-17, 00:01:40 »
Also look into the threads about 'nested accounts', you will be able to log in one character per nested account, up to a total of 6 characters (any other nesteds will be Test Server Only)

They have an entire sub forum for multiple accounts (as linked above) so there should be no problems getting accounts for your kids. I believe that even if you don't do that, they would be able to play nested characters on your account, but I would double check the validity of that just to be sure.

Offline Silent Guardian

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 109
    • View Profile
    • http://i.imgur.com/XPG8FNq.png
« Reply #3 on: 10-01-17, 00:38:36 »
Every individual player can have up to 6 characters spread across 1 main and 5 of its sub accounts. It has to be restricted, as uncontrolled access leads to massive gameplay problems and abuse. I.e. one player having 40 characters and farming all resources, one player being able to take over cities by themselves etc..
Multiple players in one household require a multiple Main accounts request thread in the respective forum.

These three threads will hopefully answer all your questions.
https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php?topic=945.0
https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php?topic=947.0
https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php?topic=1017.0

Offline Ubiquitous

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-01-17, 01:11:29 »
Personally think 6 per person is too many still, as this will eventually lead to the same economy problems other Emus have. No need to trade/buy/sell when you have your own characters who are capable of doing it. HOWEVER, happy to play some NGE no matter what the Devs decide, and I look forward to leveling up 6 different professions over time.

Offline bahdasz

• Contributor
  • Force: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-01-17, 16:07:03 »
I think we should have enough slots to make one character in each profession, tbh.  I had one of everything in SWG, I enjoyed different aspects of each class, some I played more than others and geared better than others, but all were fun.  It's nice to be able to bring whatever is needed to a group... and still be able to have an entertainer for days when you feel like f***ing off and at least one trader to make you money.  Just my opinion.

Offline emode99

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-01-17, 14:29:35 »
I think two would be perfect, 3 at a push. A combat character and a crafter, all people do with their excess slots is make bots. When a single player can drop dozens of harvesters or a whole city by themselves it does not promote community or team work.

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 64
  • A Relic of the Past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-01-17, 15:25:40 »
@Ubiq - Until you have players like myself, in that I'm going to level up a Structures only for the repair kits on my gunship at some point. One Ent because I love being social, and 4 combat characters (Officer, Jedi, Medic, and BH) -- I'm certainly not running my own economy :P But it's nice to be able to use a buffer over there, keep a buff-bot up in Eisley/able to respec for heals, and then an Officer/Tank/DPS character.

@Bah - While that could be appealing to some, to others that would just be an issue, and 6 was pretty much the magic number in the polls. :P But I respect your opinion nevertheless. Still, it's only 1/2 the power you'd otherwise have :P

@Emode - See, the beauty of 6 being the magic number is that the closest a single user can get to is having a little town of 6 houses and a couple of harvies. :P It takes people declaring residence to gain citizens. ^-^

Offline creditfarmer

• Community Veteran
  • Force: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-01-17, 22:00:42 »
Or the stupid Spy train.  I'm sure every server had a guy who boxed 6-8 Spys and would just nuke people all day.  "Spy train is here... time to go run heroics =/"
Co-Founder of SONS
Sqeeto Vandap - Elder Master LSJ Lowca>Bria
Kujoo - Elder MBH>MUSmuggler - Lowca>Bria
Grocer - MBH - Bria
Inkogneedo - MSpy - Bria