Author Topic: Jedi and Roleplay = Impossible  (Read 433 times)

Offline tanooktree

• Community Member
  • Force: 0
    • View Profile
Jedi and Roleplay = Impossible
« on: 09-01-17, 07:34:06 »
Hi,
i was thinking about roleplayers yesterday by seeing 4 jedi at the same time and the same place in Mos Eisley and i was thinking : "Impossible, jedi were all hunted, why people are walking in robe and with LS in hand?"
Is it really possible to accept in roleplaying events Jedi? For me it "Nope". I think SOE made with the NGE the biggest mistake on the extended universe.

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
  • Force: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi and Roleplay = Impossible
« Reply #1 on: 09-01-17, 07:45:38 »
Hi,
i was thinking about roleplayers yesterday by seeing 4 jedi at the same time and the same place in Mos Eisley and i was thinking : "Impossible, jedi were all hunted, why people are walking in robe and with LS in hand?"
Is it really possible to accept in roleplaying events Jedi? For me it "Nope". I think SOE made with the NGE the biggest mistake on the extended universe.

While the NGE is certainly problematic compared to Pre-NGE, where there was an incentive to hide one's identity, roleplaying is generally done in isolation of social hubs anyway. Whether you use storyteller or chronicle, I never remember a time when roleplayers were just hanging out in Mos Eisley. Generally you'll find roleplayers either at points of interest or perhaps player cities to try and avoid out of character chatter.

I ran a successful Jedi Order RP group for years on Shadowfire and one of the major components of our ongoing story was concealing the resurgence of a new Jedi Order under the Galactic Empire. It lead to a lot of interesting stories and opportunities to really play around with the time period.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

First Daggerfall Emperor of Cyrodiil on Bloodthorn Campaign in ESO (2014):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2juurXQyAtQ

Voted best PvP Light Side Jedi and Melee PvPer on Shadowfire in SWG (2009, 2010)

Offline JekVanno

• SWG Petty Officer
  • Force: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-01-17, 09:45:25 »
If only there were some kind of SWG game servers that were based on pre-NGE, maybe even pre-CU...

I'm not fond of Jedi, either.  I let an old friend talk me into playing one on soe live for about two weeks and I couldn't stomach it, but complaining about jedi on an nge server is like voluntarily going to a vegetarian restaurant and getting twisted because there's no steak on the menu.
[TC Ingame]  Jek Vanno and Replicant-VII  [Offers]  Dantooine Pirate Outpost

(copy/paste)  /way orange dantooine 1228 -6132 Tech Outpost 7 -Dant Pirate

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-01-17, 10:02:36 »
If only there were some kind of SWG game servers that were based on pre-NGE, maybe even pre-CU...

I'm not fond of Jedi, either.  I let an old friend talk me into playing one on soe live for about two weeks and I couldn't stomach it, but complaining about jedi on an nge server is like voluntarily going to a vegetarian restaurant and getting twisted because there's no steak on the menu.
I could be mistaken, but I don't think his issue is that there are necessarily so many Jedi around. I think his problem is that none of them are trying to hide their identities when in public. If you are correct, then he should go to SWGEMU or one of the other number of emulators that are emulating Pre-CU. Otherwise, I just don't think he likes the fact that Jedi are being blunt about their presence in the game. It's silly to complain about from a gameplay standpoint, but I understand his criticism from a lore/continuity standpoint. Ultimately, that's just something he'll have to overlook if he wants to play the game.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Voted best PvP Light Side Jedi and Melee PvPer on Shadowfire in SWG (2009, 2010)

Offline kap

• Community Member
  • Force: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-01-17, 15:12:53 »
Like others have said, it's totally reasonable to have your limitations when looking at Jedi RP. Most of the Jedi are dead, and when live comes around I don't expect to see many Jedi at all in Eisley like you see in the TC. Right now, most of the people you see on the TC playing Jedi are folks trying to get their builds set up, whether or not they're running "Roleplayer" tags.

One thing to consider when you see Jedi RP, however, is how your own situations might seem to other people in the world. There's been times when I've seen people in -crazy- situations in SWG; blaster bolts everywhere, emoting of dozens of stormtroopers that aren't actually there, and surely their characters aren't going to die in that situation. They'll find a way out. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. You're going to encounter some outlandish RP in every MMO you run into as long as it's an MMO where people RP in the open, and Jedi RP isn't really that different.

It's your prerogative to not take Jedi RPers seriously, but there will be some who are great roleplayers and it would be a shame to discount them just because Jedi are canonically endangered. A few years into live, after most of the meh Jedi were inched out of the scene, you were hard-pressed to find someone actively carrying a lightsaber on their belt, let alone their person. I think we'll see the same thing here.

Edit:

I totally agree btw, the Jedi being one of the main classes is actually a serious issue. I don't think anyone really likes it from a lore perspective, but most people don't consider themselves "bad" Jedi RPers. If you encounter one, you might even be doing them a favor if you tried to politely explain something they're doing wrong. Back when I first played a Jedi in live and was completely noob to Star Wars, let alone RP, I had no idea that I was doing wrong by open-carrying a lightsaber. Seriously didn't get it. I probably would have responded a lot better to someone telling me rather than just being blocked by a lot of people.
« Last Edit: 09-01-17, 15:18:28 by kap »

Offline verzio

• Community Member
  • Force: 1
  • Tsdazzzin Neceynic of DoL, Light, EU-Chimaera.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-01-17, 15:30:05 »
Hi,

While the NGE is certainly problematic compared to Pre-NGE, where there was an incentive to hide one's identity, roleplaying is generally done in isolation of social hubs anyway. Whether you use storyteller or chronicle, I never remember a time when roleplayers were just hanging out in Mos Eisley. Generally you'll find roleplayers either at points of interest or perhaps player cities to try and avoid out of character chatter.

I ran a successful Jedi Order RP group for years on Shadowfire and one of the major components of our ongoing story was concealing the resurgence of a new Jedi Order under the Galactic Empire. It lead to a lot of interesting stories and opportunities to really play around with the time period.

I would love to see the Devs at some point implement another incentive into remaining secret as a Jedi, perhaps turning to SF when someone sees you wield a saber in a city/town. It doesn't matter so much to DSJ, as Vader trained them as 'inquisitors' during the Palpatine Regime.
On Chimaera I ran a RP Jedi Academy on Lok, where much like Aowin's guild I trained padawans to wear civilian clothing in cities to keep our numbers hidden by the empire. With such a tight-knit community such as this I don't think there'd be any difficulty with most if not all jedi playing by the same RP rules.
In some regards, it seems that Jedi around 0BBY were more common than first thought, as half of everyone encountered by the Ghost Squad in Rebels is force sensitive, as well as plenty of Jedi still crawling around in The Force Unleashed video games.

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-01-17, 15:46:26 »
I would love to see the Devs at some point implement another incentive into remaining secret as a Jedi, perhaps turning to SF when someone sees you wield a saber in a city/town. It doesn't matter so much to DSJ, as Vader trained them as 'inquisitors' during the Palpatine Regime.
On Chimaera I ran a RP Jedi Academy on Lok, where much like Aowin's guild I trained padawans to wear civilian clothing in cities to keep our numbers hidden by the empire. With such a tight-knit community such as this I don't think there'd be any difficulty with most if not all jedi playing by the same RP rules.
In some regards, it seems that Jedi around 0BBY were more common than first thought, as half of everyone encountered by the Ghost Squad in Rebels is force sensitive, as well as plenty of Jedi still crawling around in The Force Unleashed video games.
While Order 66 certainly killed off many Jedi, particularly the members of the Jedi Council, it didn't kill all Jedi. People tend to forget that Jedi are spread across the entire galaxy, and there are always force sensitives who weren't trained as Jedi.

I think the SF while wielding a lightsaber is a very interesting idea, as that's similar to how it functioned Pre-NGE. The obvious issue now is that Jedi, particularly LSJ, are rather weak in PVP encounters.

Non-RPers are just going to wear what they want, but there's always a sizeable RP community and I think it's fair to believe many of them will try to account for the time period and the lack of presence from Jedi.
« Last Edit: 09-01-17, 15:55:20 by aowin »

Offline clingingmars

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-01-17, 15:48:25 »
Given the time period it is certainly in my interest on my Jedi to remain discreet.

Offline Baldrige

• Community Member
  • Force: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-01-17, 16:51:44 »
Personally i am fine with Jedi running around openly, as long as the player knows about action = consequence and respects that he cannot godmode out. There are different powerlevels for Jedi and thoose unknown by any mayor plot written by disney or lucas arts, most defently dont get to a powerlevel like a qui gon, obi wan or joda. That means consequence = most defently death if they are catched.

Normaly Roleplayers know that. So personally i will try to be open minded again, maybe even naiv in thinking people will work with consequences, no matter which role they play. Stuff can be talked about oocly, but its very hard to get around the fact that imperials have strict orders on the encounter of such individuals. The only thing i do not want to see, is that Imperials have to always find solutions to prevent chardeath of a catched Jedi. You want to draw your LS in the open? Sure, but please have a plan ready what we do after we booked you.

Maybe thats also something for everyone. Think ahead. You want to do something, have a plan ready if that fails and other rpers are forced to act on your doings by the consequences of these doings.This would be nice for a change :)

Offline lordkrux3d

• Community Member
  • Demon Hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-01-17, 18:41:40 »
if i remember correctly, the class is force sensitive, and no jedi.
Signed
Lord Krux

Offline drannon

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10-01-17, 03:49:08 »
In my experience, most of the folks you'd see running around in robes killing guards of whatever opposing faction happened to control Mos Eisley at the time weren't really in character.  You won't see a lot of IC around that area or other major hubs on the TC either.  A lot of the force sensitive RPers kept it incognito, and would even dress the part: looking like another armor-clad bounty hunter or trader to fit in with their surroundings.  You also gotta remember, not everyone is there to roleplay.  This not only applies to SB, where there's only gonna be one live server for a while if not indefinitely, but even roleplay servers had tons of PVE players because they're generally known for their friendly communities.

All of that aside, if you see someone flailing their saber around, supposedly IC, you have a few options: call them out on it ICly or disregard them.  This applies to pretty much every roleplay community, but not every toon you encounter has to exist in your world.
I don't have a problem with alcohol.  I have a problem without it!

Offline mcbear

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-01-17, 06:55:22 »
Hi,

My Roleplay always called the OOC jedi running around "Jedi Fanatics" They were not jedi they were simply those who could not come to grips with the end of the jedi and felt the need to try and fill the void. Often these people can be seen running around major cities dueling each other and boasting their powers. They sometimes had weapons that appeared to be light sabers but were merely cheap knock offs and no different from other melee weapons. It really is quite sad to see these people in such a desperate state but it is best to live and let live. However if they get out of hand with their dueling and shouting it is best to simply report them to your nearest storm trooper to calm them down and ensure that none of them are in possession of any dangerous jedi artifacts.

TLDR: They're not jedi they're crazy people with knock off melee weapons made to look like light sabers, just ignore them or report them to the authorities.  I hope that helps you stay in character next time you are interrupted by the community which seems to be about 70% Jedi players in a galaxy that is meant to be jedi free. Hahaha.

Offline verzio

• Community Member
  • Tsdazzzin Neceynic of DoL, Light, EU-Chimaera.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-01-17, 23:08:56 »
While Order 66 certainly killed off many Jedi, particularly the members of the Jedi Council, it didn't kill all Jedi. People tend to forget that Jedi are spread across the entire galaxy, and there are always force sensitives who weren't trained as Jedi.

I think the SF while wielding a lightsaber is a very interesting idea, as that's similar to how it functioned Pre-NGE. The obvious issue now is that Jedi, particularly LSJ, are rather weak in PVP encounters.

Non-RPers are just going to wear what they want, but there's always a sizeable RP community and I think it's fair to believe many of them will try to account for the time period and the lack of presence from Jedi.

Surely their weakness in PVP is just another incentive to stay incognito? Smugglers and faction soldiers were susceptible to contraband but in game, so why not jedi too? I'm sure most of us that enjoy playing the role of a jedi will find this mechanic entertaining, as there's seldom a time when inside a city that a jedi truly requires strutting his/her stuff.