Author Topic: Rent and running cost changes from preCU  (Read 277 times)

Offline kryyss

• Community Member
  • Force: 0
    • View Profile
Rent and running cost changes from preCU
« on: 08-01-17, 23:57:11 »
I played SWG back before the CU hit and left the game long before NGE so I'm wondering about how the economy changed and if running costs for harvesters and housing ended up being a burden. In the preCU I loved being a bio-enginerr but money was hard to come by until you progressed further in the profession. As such, I'd end up grinding mission terminals to pay the bills and frankly I'd prefer to never get into a game where I 'have' to play in order to cover rent.

So then. What are running costs like? Do ships require rent or frequent repairs? Would it be viable to just roll a combat class and sell loot drops for income or are traders the only people who can honestly make more than enough cash to not feel obligated to log in all the time?

Offline Doogla

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Rent and running cost changes from preCU
« Reply #1 on: 09-01-17, 00:33:31 »
It can be kind of expensive starting out, but you can definitely work through it. Having a combat class always helps, as running through Legacy Quest itself should leave you with around 2 million credits. Ships don't require rent or anything, but you do have to pay a small fee to repair if you get blown up.

If you don't wanna do that though, I suggest selling throwaway grinding resources. The server will just be starting out, and no one will be selling grinding packs yet, meaning metal, gemstone, water, and ore are going to sell like hotcakes at the beginning, not matter what the quality. Basically anything found in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvLbcBCjcro I would stock up on and start selling right away, leaving enough for yourself to grind of course. When you get higher level, people will definitely be looking for houses and speederbikes so if you start cranking those out, you'll start making pretty good cash. And then guild halls and city halls will really make you bank. Regardless, you shouldn't be having to grind mission terminals at all on this version of the game.

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
  • Force: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-01-17, 00:41:12 »
Mission terminals were really a Pre-NGE requirement. They were absolutely necessary for the game to function back then. The NGE largely made mission terminals optional. There definitely still are maintenance fees on housing and I believe on harvestors as well, but I never remember them being too costly or an issue. Of course, it depends on how many structures you have and how many harvestors you have running simultaneously.

Ships have a repair bill if you happen to damage your ship. You can make far more credits as a trader than you can as a combat class, unless you are grinding for rare item drops. It will really come down to what kind of trader you make and what items you are selling. Since the game is just starting out, speeders and player housing are probably going to be two of the most sought after. As the poster above indicated, you could also sell popular resources to other traders who need them.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

First Daggerfall Emperor of Cyrodiil on Bloodthorn Campaign in ESO (2014):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2juurXQyAtQ

Voted best PvP Light Side Jedi and Melee PvPer on Shadowfire in SWG (2009, 2010)

Offline Croawen

• Community Member
  • Force: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-01-17, 01:33:49 »
Ships have a repair bill if you happen to damage your ship.

You can just do /eject and get a free repair.

If you want to play only as a trader, you can make some easy money by selling space junk loot. Once you setup some harvesters and power generators you are golden.

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
  • Force: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09-01-17, 01:51:43 »
You can just do /eject and get a free repair.

If you want to play only as a trader, you can make some easy money by selling space junk loot. Once you setup some harvesters and power generators you are golden.
That is true. Forgot about that trick. Never needed to eject because my gunship would never sustain that kind of damage.

Space is actually a really great way to make credits, whether you are just mining asteroids or actually leveling up to master pilot.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

First Daggerfall Emperor of Cyrodiil on Bloodthorn Campaign in ESO (2014):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2juurXQyAtQ

Voted best PvP Light Side Jedi and Melee PvPer on Shadowfire in SWG (2009, 2010)