Author Topic: I thought you weren't wiping the TC Server?  (Read 801 times)

Offline Kallas Starburner

• Contributor
  • Force: 3
    • View Profile
I thought you weren't wiping the TC Server?
« on: 08-01-17, 15:19:37 »
I thought you weren't wiping the TC Server?

I made a shuttleport for my city last night, and now, nothing
is on TC.

I give up.
The Original Kallas Starburner
SWG: Starsider Server
TOR: Blastfield : The Harbinger Server

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 64
  • I see everything....
    • View Profile
Re: I thought you weren't wiping the TC Server?
« Reply #1 on: 08-01-17, 15:28:07 »
Hey, Kallas

Some unforeseen circumstances required the rollback to occur once more back to 12/12/16. It isn't a wipe albeit it mag feel like one. Rest assured that as of this time there is still no plan for a wipe, but keep in mind that should one be deemed necessary it may have to happen anyways in the future. The intent is to avoid this if possible but should it not be a wipe may yet occur.

In any case, don't give up! Keep your chin up and know that everything will end up working out in the end.

Offline drannon

• Community Member
  • Force: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-01-17, 18:30:30 »
Indeed.  In the end it is a test server, after all.  I'm had to do the Tansarii Station stuff three times now due to roll backs.  But, I'm reliving the experience from years ago and having fun doing it.  Anything they need to do to ensure the Live server runs as smooth as possible for as long as possible is excellent in my book.
I don't have a problem with alcohol.  I have a problem without it!

Offline Zaydah

• Community Veteran
  • Force: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-01-17, 18:36:49 »
Hey, Kallas

Some unforeseen circumstances required the rollback to occur once more back to 12/12/16. It isn't a wipe albeit it mag feel like one. Rest assured that as of this time there is still no plan for a wipe, but keep in mind that should one be deemed necessary it may have to happen anyways in the future. The intent is to avoid this if possible but should it not be a wipe may yet occur.

In any case, don't give up! Keep your chin up and know that everything will end up working out in the end.

It's pretty much a wipe all toons etc are gone.  But like you said it was unforeseen

Offline ShadezVL

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-01-17, 22:26:56 »
Hey, Kallas

It's pretty much a wipe all toons etc are gone.  But like you said it was unforeseen

Server was rolled back to December 12th, 2016. If you created any characters post 12/12/2016, they do not exist since they where created after 12/12/2016. Not a wipe.

Offline Zaydah

• Community Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-01-17, 00:01:11 »
Hey, Kallas

Server was rolled back to December 12th, 2016. If you created any characters post 12/12/2016, they do not exist since they where created after 12/12/2016. Not a wipe.

It was a bit confusing because after stellab said it was rolled back my toons still existed but today they didn't.  But yea they were created afterwards so makes sense. 
« Last Edit: 09-01-17, 02:22:14 by Zaydah »

Offline illuminatrix

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-01-17, 02:15:53 »
It's a test server.

If you've never played on a test server before then now you have.

There is only one rule to playing on a test server.

#1. Don't get attached to *anything*

That's the rule. That's the only one that really matters. At any point in time they can wipe something, focus our efforts on testing something, start us over, pump us all up, it's their prerogative because the purpose of the test server is to test, not for us to enjoy play time on.
I played a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

32 professions before unlock. 32.... 32.

Offline Zaydah

• Community Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-01-17, 02:19:09 »
It's a test server.

If you've never played on a test server before then now you have.

There is only one rule to playing on a test server.

#1. Don't get attached to *anything*

That's the rule. That's the only one that really matters. At any point in time they can wipe something, focus our efforts on testing something, start us over, pump us all up, it's their prerogative because the purpose of the test server is to test, not for us to enjoy play time on.

This

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09-01-17, 02:53:53 »
I had my entire level 4 city wiped out and 30 characters.
I never seem to log in when your up, only when your
down, so i'm thinking that i am going to stop
trying to get on anymore. Email us when you
are stable.

Offline illuminatrix

• Sr. Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-01-17, 03:34:37 »
Email us when you are stable.

It's their first priority.
I played a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

32 professions before unlock. 32.... 32.

Offline JekVanno

• SWG Petty Officer
  • Force: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-01-17, 09:23:47 »
"You mean, like with a cloth?"

All my TC characters were after 12/12.  I've been completely wiped out!  Since there isn't another server to play atm, I've been hitting the frog.
[TC Ingame]  Jek Vanno and Replicant-VII  [Offers]  Dantooine Pirate Outpost

(copy/paste)  /way orange dantooine 1228 -6132 Tech Outpost 7 -Dant Pirate

Offline Jarazar

• Sr. Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-01-17, 11:59:46 »
I've decided to get my Star Wars fix elsewhere. I've got too much work invested in another game now to start all over again here. I was super excited, but the issues here have me too paranoid to invest a lot of time just to see things go poof.

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 64
  • I see everything....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09-01-17, 13:31:10 »
I mean, it's a shame to see you go, but if you're unable to understand that things need to happen then that's equally as unfortunate.

@Kallas : I get that it feels that way, but as it was described by Stella, those characters were like 'leftovers' from what should have been wiped. They stuck around because they were in there nearly accidentally. I still haven't logged in to check on my characters, but even when I log in and see them gone? I don't much care. :P

Offline Jarazar

• Sr. Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09-01-17, 14:01:50 »
I mean, it's a shame to see you go, but if you're unable to understand that things need to happen then that's equally as unfortunate.

@Kallas : I get that it feels that way, but as it was described by Stella, those characters were like 'leftovers' from what should have been wiped. They stuck around because they were in there nearly accidentally. I still haven't logged in to check on my characters, but even when I log in and see them gone? I don't much care. :P

Why don't you get off of their leg? Not one person can post here without you poking your nose into every...single...comment. I'm sure you will be exalted into the annals of SB history, but your constant commenting on EVERYTHING is obnoxious.

This cartoon reminds me of you when talking about SB staff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNHcob3oJg
« Last Edit: 09-01-17, 14:07:38 by Jarazar »

Offline Conso

• Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09-01-17, 14:28:21 »

Why don't you get off of their leg? Not one person can post here without you poking your nose into every...single...comment. I'm sure you will be exalted into the annals of SB history, but your constant commenting on EVERYTHING is obnoxious.

That's incredibly rude. Decilation is HELPFUL on the things he posts on, and he helps people understand things from the Dev's point of view. (BTW, they're not staff. Staff get paid, they're volunteers)

Offline Silent Guardian

• Administrator
  • Force: 107
    • View Profile
    • http://i.imgur.com/XPG8FNq.png
« Reply #15 on: 09-01-17, 14:42:35 »
(BTW, they're not staff. Staff get paid, they're volunteers)

No one is getting paid. Everyone in the core team has full-time jobs leaving limited amount of time for this free time hobby project.

The TC gets wiped if the development team considers it necessary. In the current case, the TC was rolled back, so people could play. The rollback was easier than spending time on fixing the corrupt database done by the hack. Now, the saved time can be used to prioritise the fixes required for the live server and preventing damage done in the future.

We have always said in the past on Discord that if it's required then a wipe is happening on the TC. For example, when something major was upgraded that required testing and to verify the fixes were actual fixes and not issues caused by leftovers in the database.

The TC is not live and used for sorting out development issues. Things can change, and we prefer to tackle the technical issues properly. Sacrifices have to be made to conserve time for the important things. Thank you for understanding.

Offline Zaydah

• Community Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09-01-17, 14:47:23 »

That's incredibly rude. Decilation is HELPFUL on the things he posts on, and he helps people understand things from the Dev's point of view. (BTW, they're not staff. Staff get paid, they're volunteers)

/applaud

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10-01-17, 17:15:33 »
It was a wipe for me. Couldn't the date be after I built the city? No, always has to be inconvenient for some like me after a date, and no big deal for those before a date. However as you said it's a test server. That being said, I know that in the original test server on SWG, test center was more or less continuous, and didn't get wipes. I am deeply happy to see this game being brought back properly, but to choose a random date, as cut off is unfair. Just wipe it all, or not at all.

Offline creditfarmer

• Contributor
  • Force: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10-01-17, 18:14:50 »
It wasn't random.... they were waiting for a mayor with a big ego to get a level 4 city with 30 toons  /sarcasm

In all seriousness, don't get attached or view the playtime as an investment on Test Center or Live for that matter.  There is no ROI; only experiences and relationships.  Some will be good, some will be bad and everything in between is just a grind.
Co-Founder of SONS
Sqeeto Vandap - Elder Master LSJ Lowca>Bria
Kujoo - Elder MBH>MSmuggler - Lowca>Bria
Grocer - MBH - Bria
Inkogneedo - MSpy - Bria

Offline twotilmidnite

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10-01-17, 20:11:35 »
It was a wipe for me. Couldn't the date be after I built the city? No, always has to be inconvenient for some like me after a date, and no big deal for those before a date. However as you said it's a test server. That being said, I know that in the original test server on SWG, test center was more or less continuous, and didn't get wipes. I am deeply happy to see this game being brought back properly, but to choose a random date, as cut off is unfair. Just wipe it all, or not at all.

With all due respect, this sounds very entitled dude. I had factories crafting a capped version of every single weapon component/armor component and had just gotten the rest of my stuff to craft 2 Mando pieces in DWB. Now that's gone. Don't see me crying about it. A lot of people got completely wiped (Myself included). It's a test server. It happens. Just gotta bite the bullet, and do it all over again.

The difference between SoE's server that almost never got rolled back and this server is they had a dev  team that got paid a salary to work on this game; and (As far as I know) weren't having to deal with malicious attacks. These guys are volunteering in their free time so we can enjoy the game we love again and, as far as I'm aware, are further along than any other team. Unless someone has enough disposable income to donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to give these guys a 'salary' to run this server, that's just the way it is. Gotta roll with it.