Author Topic: New launcher 3.1 deleting all custom files in SWG folder  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Luhai

• Beta Tester
  • Force: 0
    • View Profile
The new launcher version Build 3.1 (1-7-17) is very buggy for me.
Everytime I start the patcher, it deletes all custom files in my SWG folder: mods, screenshots, logs, even my profiles, including all saved macros, etc.
The launcher doesn't touch the custom directories, it just deletes all files, every single time I start the launcher.

Some sample entries from the Infolog file:
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\screenshots\screenShot0032.jpg
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\screenshots\screenShot0033.jpg
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\screenshots\screenShot0037.jpg
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\screenshots\screenShot0038.jpg
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\swgaide\index.html
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\swgaide\mail-TEMPLATE.txt
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\swgaide\SWGAide-history.txt
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\swgaide\SWGAide.DAT
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\swgaide\SWGAide.jar
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\texture\am_head_r2_s01.dds
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\texture\am_head_r2_s01_sm.dds
« Last Edit: 08-01-17, 08:19:41 by Luhai »

Offline Luhai

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: New launcher 3.1 deleting all custom files in SWG folder
« Reply #1 on: 09-01-17, 19:06:23 »
Anyone else having this problem?
I even tried a completely fresh install into a new SWG folder from a new launcher folder.
I installed some mods, started the launcer again, et voilĂ , all files were deleted by the launcher again.
Is it really supposed to do this?

Offline JekVanno

• SWG Chief Petty Officer
  • Force: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-01-17, 19:25:17 »
It seems all mods, even appearance mods, are on lockdown for now.  The mechanics that make appearance mods work are also used for some crazy exploits.  There has been some talk of a vetting process for mods or something, but I don't imagine it will be real soon.  That said.  Deleting screenshots is uncalled for and should be fixed asap.
[TC Ingame] Jek Vanno and Replicant-VII    [Offers] Dantooine Pirate Outpost

[copy/paste]   /way orange dantooine 1228 -6132 Tech Outpost 7 -Dant Pirate

Offline Damo

• Developer
  • Force: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-01-17, 20:46:47 »
The new launcher version Build 3.1 (1-7-17) is very buggy for me.
Everytime I start the patcher, it deletes all custom files in my SWG folder: mods, screenshots, logs, even my profiles, including all saved macros, etc.
The launcher doesn't touch the custom directories, it just deletes all files, every single time I start the launcher.

Some sample entries from the Infolog file:
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\screenshots\screenShot0032.jpg
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\screenshots\screenShot0033.jpg
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\screenshots\screenShot0037.jpg
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\screenshots\screenShot0038.jpg
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\swgaide\index.html
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\swgaide\mail-TEMPLATE.txt
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\swgaide\SWGAide-history.txt
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\swgaide\SWGAide.DAT
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\swgaide\SWGAide.jar
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\texture\am_head_r2_s01.dds
ZUES:: DELETED OLD | UNMARKED FILE: D:\Games\SWG\texture\am_head_r2_s01_sm.dds

The screenshots folder should not be an issue so I will add that to my bug list. However, it is true that mods are totally blocked currently. In one of the previous updates, we added a framework to the structure of the launcher to allow us to build a proper "whitelist" of approved mods. We have the mod info and a list of already pre-approved mods, its just pulling time to finalize it. So for now, no mods until we get a chance to get the systems built where we're not pulling time from the core server development.

Thanks!

Offline nifenap

• Beta Tester
  • Force: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-01-17, 09:53:01 »
Just my 0.02$ : It's not a good practice to delete files without notifying the user before doing so... While I understand the idea of deleting "unwanted" mods, it's still not a good idea to just wipe the data. I did some personal appearance mods for myself (only apeearance, nothing else) - which are gone now after using the launcher.

At least add a warning, kind of: "possible bad (mod) files found - they will be deleted if you continue" and a yes/no button... Of course, if user selects "no" or "cancel" or whatever, the patcher will close.

Personally, I don't think this anti-mod patcher will stop someone from exploiting - if someone wants to do those mods, he would just update once and copy over his "evil" files again and start the swg client manually... So same problem again...

Offline Cekis

• Former Developer
  • Force: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-01-17, 14:37:14 »
Just my 0.02$ : It's not a good practice to delete files without notifying the user before doing so... While I understand the idea of deleting "unwanted" mods, it's still not a good idea to just wipe the data. I did some personal appearance mods for myself (only apeearance, nothing else) - which are gone now after using the launcher.

At least add a warning, kind of: "possible bad (mod) files found - they will be deleted if you continue" and a yes/no button... Of course, if user selects "no" or "cancel" or whatever, the patcher will close.

Personally, I don't think this anti-mod patcher will stop someone from exploiting - if someone wants to do those mods, he would just update once and copy over his "evil" files again and start the swg client manually... So same problem again...

This is a good idea, but I'm not sure that Damo can implement it or not (probably can).  At any rate, the reason for the deletion is not to prevent hacking.  It's to make sure your game files are all in line with what we need them to be in order to play the game without issue.

Offline Luhai

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-01-17, 17:32:56 »
Understandable, but right now, the launcher will just delete just about everything it doesn't know. I was using my old SWG folder for SB, since it wasn't mentioned anyhwere that the new launcher version would suddenly start deleting random files.
I lost most of my notes, macros, profiles, configurations and screenshots.

Imagine someone accidently pointing the launcher to the wrong directory, like C:\Program files instead of C:\Program files\SWG. The launcher will delete every single file it finds in every single subfolder.
That shouldn't happen without a very noticeable warning.

Offline Djay

• Community Veteran
  • Force: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-01-17, 18:10:12 »
I removed the launcher from my system and now run it inside a VM. I view any added or updated files and then if I decide that everything is on the up and up I copy them over to my game directory that I have setup as a private network share so that it can be accessed from the VM. This keeps all of my mods intact as well as does not allow for the deletion of any files. Especially screenshots. Then I just run the client .exe to launch the game.

It is a ridiculous and convoluted way to work around this issue, however when you cannot trust the software you are running, take steps to isolate it.

Offline Damo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-01-17, 05:44:03 »
Understandable, but right now, the launcher will just delete just about everything it doesn't know. I was using my old SWG folder for SB, since it wasn't mentioned anyhwere that the new launcher version would suddenly start deleting random files.
I lost most of my notes, macros, profiles, configurations and screenshots.

Imagine someone accidently pointing the launcher to the wrong directory, like C:\Program files instead of C:\Program files\SWG. The launcher will delete every single file it finds in every single subfolder.
That shouldn't happen without a very noticeable warning.

Id like to start off by saying that there is no need to notify the user that we're cleaning client files, this is not something SOE did originally and is not something I plan to do.There is no practice or standard when it comes to client management in a secure setting. It would give leverage against the anti-tamper functionality and that's counter intuitive. Yes, there may be some bugs due to the relative complexity of the launcher but we're working to clean them up as quick as we can.

In response to djhaterade, that an extensive amount of unneeded work and a bit silly. At some point this tactic will no longer work as what you're doing is EXACTLY what we want to prevent. The game is very exploitable by a multitude of mods and to prevent people from cherry picking updates and fixes so they can continue to exploit the game there will need to be strong client management.

We're working to fix the issues at hand but as a reminder, we're not live and this is a time for testing, debugging and improvement.

Edit: Updated 1-10-17 with Additional whitelist support for a plethora of mods and fixed the screenshot bug.
« Last Edit: 11-01-17, 06:39:34 by Damo »

Offline clingingmars

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-01-17, 06:39:06 »
Screenshots are no longer being deleted :)

Offline Djay

• Community Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-01-17, 06:46:34 »
Well when your application is deleting files that are non client files there is a need to inform people. While it is expected for the launcher to update client files to the latest revisions or even requiring running a hash check and only loading those files which pass that check at launch is one thing. It is NOT expected for it to completely remove any and all files not on it's whitelist, whether they be mods, macro backups, or just screenshot .jpgs without notice or warning. You were made aware of these issues regarding the launcher Saturday evening and yet still act like it is news to you two days later.

Wanting higher resolution textures, better eye quality, full options during character creation, high quality world maps, and stopping that damn mustafar movie from playing hardly puts me or anyone else in the realm of exploiting or hacking. While I am sure the client could be made to do things with malicious mods, from anything I have ever heard about or seen it is all Memory Address Editors and code injection using 3rd party applications that do any of the really nasty stuff.

While most all of us would agree that ensuring the integrity of the client files is of the utmost importance, you have gone way far beyond that, ignored feedback, continued with the complete lack of communication regarding information that your players should know (and yes when you intend to delete non-client files off of someone's hard drive players should know beforehand). SOE NEVER purposefully removed files that were not provided by them. While I understand it is a work-in-progress, and there are bugs to work out, you sould always take the olive branch avenue over the screw em tactic. I am glad that it is coming along, I will continue to test it and provide feedback. However if you want me to trust it then you need to trust the players enough to be upfront with them, have it spit out a list of files marked for deletion and ask before deleting them. or something...
« Last Edit: 11-01-17, 07:08:50 by djhaterade »

Offline Damo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-01-17, 08:09:19 »
Well when your application is deleting files that are non client files there is a need to inform people. While it is expected for the launcher to update client files to the latest revisions or even requiring running a hash check and only loading those files which pass that check at launch is one thing. It is NOT expected for it to completely remove any and all files not on it's whitelist, whether they be mods, macro backups, or just screenshot .jpgs without notice or warning. You were made aware of these issues regarding the launcher Saturday evening and yet still act like it is news to you two days later.

Wanting higher resolution textures, better eye quality, full options during character creation, high quality world maps, and stopping that damn mustafar movie from playing hardly puts me or anyone else in the realm of exploiting or hacking. While I am sure the client could be made to do things with malicious mods, from anything I have ever heard about or seen it is all Memory Address Editors and code injection using 3rd party applications that do any of the really nasty stuff.

While most all of us would agree that ensuring the integrity of the client files is of the utmost importance, you have gone way far beyond that, ignored feedback, continued with the complete lack of communication regarding information that your players should know (and yes when you intend to delete non-client files off of someone's hard drive players should know beforehand). SOE NEVER purposefully removed files that were not provided by them. While I understand it is a work-in-progress, and there are bugs to work out, you sould always take the olive branch avenue over the screw em tactic. I am glad that it is coming along, I will continue to test it and provide feedback. However if you want me to trust it then you need to trust the players enough to be upfront with them, have it spit out a list of files marked for deletion and ask before deleting them. or something...

I  disagree on couple of things but what I would like to take from this is that I understand your frustration. I have taken the time to figure out a mutual compromise and I feel I have one that will work. I will look to get a patch out by the end of the week to get the issue settled. I think a quarantining functionality, regulated file cleaning strictly to game binaries/files and continual whitelisting refactoring will help settle some concern. Quarantine will only move suspect files to a unique folder with potential for restore.

My goal is not to cause trouble but rather securely lockdown the integrity of the game and prevent future bombardment from the exploiting community.

Thanks.

Offline Luhai

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11-01-17, 08:44:08 »
Thank you. This is a much better solution to the problem. :)

Offline Djay

• Community Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11-01-17, 12:56:37 »
I  disagree on couple of things but what I would like to take from this is that I understand your frustration. I have taken the time to figure out a mutual compromise and I feel I have one that will work. I will look to get a patch out by the end of the week to get the issue settled. I think a quarantining functionality, regulated file cleaning strictly to game binaries/files and continual whitelisting refactoring will help settle some concern. Quarantine will only move suspect files to a unique folder with potential for restore.

My goal is not to cause trouble but rather securely lockdown the integrity of the game and prevent future bombardment from the exploiting community.

Thanks.

Dude, I know you're intention isn't to cause trouble. We are all appreciative of your efforts. My only frustration is / was the level of official communication, which seems to be the real culprit of most of the animosity between the players and the dev team.

I was and still am willing to be very patient. I wasn't even that against the launcher removing any files it didn't know, all I wanted was for it to inform people before hand so that they could make sure to backup first. Quarantining unknown files is a great idea and I believe will be a better system down the line. I am grateful for your willingness to compromise and it goes a long way into reassuring us that you and the rest of the developers can be trusted to take constructive feedback and pivot when necessary. So Thank You!

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 65
  • A Relic of the Past.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11-01-17, 17:52:06 »
Despite what anyone else is saying here, I'm perfectly fine with re-installing my mods at a later date. I never have issues with screenshots being deleted because I back up things I care about, such as those. Your work is brilliant, Damo, just has room for improvement like anything else that's created. Keep up the good work.

Offline JekVanno

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11-01-17, 18:51:11 »
I applaud the work.  I applaud the effort to keep exploits down to a minimum and the client side tidy and functioning.  I'm also reminded of the forum member who accidentally let the launcher load all the game files onto his desktop.  That was Launcher v1, which didn't do deletes iirc.  The desktop is a weird structure, so I'm not sure what would happen if the newer installer attempted deleting all unauthorized files.  What would happen if someone accidentally pointed it at their root directly?  My kung fu is just strong enough that I'm comfortable with it, but it does appear to be a loaded shotgun.

I don't want to sound like I'm telling someone with greater skills their business, but perhaps the launcher/updater could do a check on the directory it's pointed at.  (Completely Empty) or (contains a dev file added to the download as an identifiable re-update key) = green light.  Anything other than those two states, and the player gets a prompt to make a new directory or point at the proper game directory for the SB Install.  A bit draconian, perhaps, but it would catch the occasional fubar of someone installing in the worst place possible, and would also help ensure that players stop trying to install over other SWGemu game files, which cause another host of log-in and crash problems.

Requiring a separate 5gb folder for SB isn't too much to ask, considering the size of modern hard drives compared to when SWG was soe live.  Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: 11-01-17, 18:54:37 by JekVanno »

Offline Damo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11-01-17, 19:16:57 »
I applaud the work.  I applaud the effort to keep exploits down to a minimum and the client side tidy and functioning.  I'm also reminded of the forum member who accidentally let the launcher load all the game files onto his desktop.  That was Launcher v1, which didn't do deletes iirc.  The desktop is a weird structure, so I'm not sure what would happen if the newer installer attempted deleting all unauthorized files.  What would happen if someone accidentally pointed it at their root directly?  My kung fu is just strong enough that I'm comfortable with it, but it does appear to be a loaded shotgun.

I don't want to sound like I'm telling someone with greater skills their business, but perhaps the launcher/updater could do a check on the directory it's pointed at.  (Completely Empty) or (contains a dev file added to the download as an identifiable re-update key) = green light.  Anything other than those two states, and the player gets a prompt to make a new directory or point at the proper game directory for the SB Install.  A bit draconian, perhaps, but it would catch the occasional fubar of someone installing in the worst place possible, and would also help ensure that players stop trying to install over other SWGemu game files, which cause another host of log-in and crash problems.

Requiring a separate 5gb folder for SB isn't too much to ask, considering the size of modern hard drives compared to when SWG was soe live.  Just my two cents.

It already checks folder structure to make sure no one is selecting root, special or system directories as base directories. Anyone who does select one of these folders, it will auto create a sub-folder for the client. Originally it would freeze at hashing due to people trying to hash their entire systems, we fixed that and added a series of checks to make sure people don't blow their systems.

Offline JekVanno

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11-01-17, 20:04:11 »

It already checks folder structure to make sure no one is selecting root, special or system directories as base directories. Anyone who does select one of these folders, it will auto create a sub-folder for the client. Originally it would freeze at hashing due to people trying to hash their entire systems, we fixed that and added a series of checks to make sure people don't blow their systems.
Cool.  I was a little worried when that guy updated to his desktop.  That was sooo funny it was difficult not to laugh.  I still think there's merit to 'requiring' an isolated SWG directory, standing apart from other emus to minimize issues, but maybe my inner authoritarian is just clashing with my inner libertine.

Offline Damo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13-01-17, 03:44:07 »
Stella Bellum Launcher Update - Change Log:
- Added Full whitelist
- Added Regulated file deletion
- Added Quarantining functionality
- Fixed Issue with whitelist filtering
- Fixed Logging Timestamps
- New Logging Format

Last update change log, should cover some of the concerns over file deletion and mods.