Author Topic: Ideas for Launch  (Read 2885 times)

Offline clingingmars

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Launch
« Reply #80 on: 10-01-17, 21:12:51 »
How about just posting the server is Live on the forums when it is "ready".  Then White-list the first 1000 unique IP addresses that connect for 48 hours.  Continue to add batches of 500 unique IP addresses every 48 hours from that point.  Do not let Alt toons on for the first week or two(or when unique IP traffic levels off, whichever comes first).

As mentioned, account age won't guarantee you get the required server load you are looking for upon launch due to, life.  First come, first login will do that.  I wouldn't announce when the server is expected to go Live.  Just post it, saying it is Online in the Forums Announcement section and let the traffic come to you.  Word will get out fast enough.  If you get in, good for you.  If you don't, better luck in 48 hours.  Continue to announce in Forum's Announcement page when Next white list batch is available(not forecasted, post only when it is available to connect Now).

There will still be all kinds of connecting issues as there is with TC.  Forum traffic will increase.  Maybe add a login server side message saying you've missed this white-list section... see forums for next white list opportunity.

Not everyone will be happy.  Fair has relative meaning to everyone.  This is your project and you don't owe anything to anyone.  It can be as transparent or opaque as you want it to be and in the end, you will have a player base because what you have built is amazing.  Nobody will care about how a launch went in 6 months.  Stability should be your only concern, by any means necessary.

If you could pull this off it seems rather reasonable

Offline creditfarmer

• Contributor
  • Force: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 10-01-17, 21:41:21 »
The numbers I used are just pulled from a dark place.  Only the Devs know the capabilities of the login server, game server and their infrastructure.  I only know what SilentGaurdian posted about registered main accounts Vs. nested accounts.  They could use whatever variable number they deem the infrastructure should be capable of handling at any given time. 

Point is, they should do it with the best interest of the overall project in mind, not what some players perceive as "fair".  Caps-lock will always be some people's best friend, no matter what you do.
Co-Founder of SONS
Sqeeto Vandap - Elder Master LSJ Lowca>Bria
Kujoo - Elder MBH>MSmuggler - Lowca>Bria
Grocer - MBH - Bria
Inkogneedo - MSpy - Bria

Offline Djay

• Community Veteran
  • Force: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 10-01-17, 23:07:44 »
Point is, they should do it with the best interest of the overall project in mind, not what some players perceive as "fair".  Caps-lock will always be some people's best friend, no matter what you do.

Pretty much. Also fair is a subjective term. Bottom line, they can't accommodate every person that wants to play on this server day one, and just opening the floodgates is a bad idea, so something will need to be done, we can all share our opinions, but at the end of the day the devteam will go with whatever option they feel is expedient, labor efficient, and has least amount of odds of the server ending up looking like Jedha after its first kiss from the DS-1.

Offline LoKi

• Community Member
  • Force: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 10-01-17, 23:40:01 »
Determine your max capacity.. eg 1500 then split fair for example 1000 mains to 500 nested (this actual ratio can be decided later)

Create a Que system for login server like swtor..

Let main accounts bypass Que like subs do in swtor.. (until max capacity say 1000 for example)

Force nested accounts to wait in Que like prefered or free to play plebs in swtor. (@ say 500 for example)

Main accounts in Que when at max capacity will always take priority over nested..

Implement auto kick for afk >10 mins..

Auto kick all nested when server load = extremely heavy and maybe even create kick exceptions for 30 day periods for ppl who donate 0.0164 btc ($15 usd) or higher (motivation to cover hardware and / or bandwidth costs to support additional capacity)

Job done ..

This way you always have a mixture of main to nested players online at a fair ratio that you can determine yourselves unless server is maxed out.

That is actually one of the few features they use that was pretty decent compared to the other million shit stuff Bioware came up with
« Last Edit: 11-01-17, 04:10:52 by LoKi »

Offline Mister Hunt

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 11-01-17, 15:26:43 »
Level 10 can be reached within an hour, so using that as a point to allow second char would only serve to cause more bottleneck than my ninja launch idea.

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 64
  • I see everything....
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 11-01-17, 18:03:27 »
So, regarding the possibility of letting in elder accounts first...

I concur with this, but have a tweak to make. Beta Testers, then account age.

Beta Testers were granted their title because of their contributions to this server by finding, reporting, and helping to squash bugs as they came across them en mass. With that being said, these are people that were playing the game long before many of us were around and played the game as crazy buggy as it was. Not to mention that some of them have older account ages than a lot of us here do. It would only make sense for the Beta Testers to be just that come live, Beta Testers. People that get to see everything first and foremost come live, and then when the dust settles from their impact, the oldest accounts get to follow them in.

Online ambrus

• Contributor
  • Force: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 12-01-17, 16:01:20 »
I agree with Decilation.

Offline thevoiddragon

• Beta Tester
  • Force: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 12-01-17, 16:37:38 »
So, regarding the possibility of letting in elder accounts first...

I concur with this, but have a tweak to make. Beta Testers, then account age.

Beta Testers were granted their title because of their contributions to this server by finding, reporting, and helping to squash bugs as they came across them en mass. With that being said, these are people that were playing the game long before many of us were around and played the game as crazy buggy as it was. Not to mention that some of them have older account ages than a lot of us here do. It would only make sense for the Beta Testers to be just that come live, Beta Testers. People that get to see everything first and foremost come live, and then when the dust settles from their impact, the oldest accounts get to follow them in.

I agree with this, and not just because i'm a beta tester, even if i wasn't i'd agree, it makes a lot of sense. It's part of what i don't understand about the last phase of "testing" when the server was up, before everyone found out. They were letting some players in before anyone else, but rather than letting players in that they knew had already been here for a while and were people that had gone out of their way to test and report bugs on test centre already, they chose to just let whoever was in the discord at that specific time in, even though it seems (although i might be wrong) that some of those are players with bad reputations? That doesn't really make much sense to me, it seems like those with beta tester and above would have been the best choice for the final testing and it would have felt less like special treatment for certain players because there was a good, logical reason for having that group do it. There wouldn't have been accusations about those players getting in because of being extremely defensive/donating/being part of that one guild or anything like that, either.

Sort of unrelated but looking at my registration date, I've been here since the first few days. Earliest signup date i can find is for Silent/Stellab on 10-07-16, and i signed up on 13-07-16...didn't realize that before!
« Last Edit: 12-01-17, 16:48:48 by thevoiddragon »

Offline creditfarmer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 12-01-17, 19:05:59 »
Well, I don't know how many or for how long others were on the server before they posted the IP in Discord.  I would speculate that they weren't seeing anything too abnormal or unknown and decided they needed more server load.

I would also speculate that they had every intention of remaining Live.  The hardware issue might have been a little blessing in disguise.  Since it went offline, they now have the wisdom of what went wrong, what went right and how to improve moving forward.

I am not against beta testers or early registered accounts getting in first or preferred access in first waves of launch, or even donors for that matter.  That does however, invite scheduling or giving out a place and time again which I am against.  I believe they should do it when it is ready rather than setting another date and time.  If you are around when that time comes available, good for you.  They really don't owe beta testers, early registered accounts or donors anything at all either.  I have no doubt they are grateful for your time, early commitment and or money.  Those people helped them get to where they are now and the Devs can handle it from here, but nothing is owed.
Co-Founder of SONS
Grocer - MBH - Bria
Inkogneedo - MSpy - Bria

Offline thevoiddragon

• Beta Tester
  • Force: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 12-01-17, 19:49:16 »
Well, I don't know how many or for how long others were on the server before they posted the IP in Discord.  I would speculate that they weren't seeing anything too abnormal or unknown and decided they needed more server load.

I would also speculate that they had every intention of remaining Live.  The hardware issue might have been a little blessing in disguise.  Since it went offline, they now have the wisdom of what went wrong, what went right and how to improve moving forward.

I am not against beta testers or early registered accounts getting in first or preferred access in first waves of launch, or even donors for that matter.  That does however, invite scheduling or giving out a place and time again which I am against.  I believe they should do it when it is ready rather than setting another date and time.  If you are around when that time comes available, good for you.  They really don't owe beta testers, early registered accounts or donors anything at all either.  I have no doubt they are grateful for your time, early commitment and or money.  Those people helped them get to where they are now and the Devs can handle it from here, but nothing is owed.

No one said anything is "owed". Choosing those players makes more sense than just letting absolutely anyone in does when it's testing that's being done, though.

Offline creditfarmer

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 12-01-17, 20:36:51 »

No one said anything is "owed". Choosing those players makes more sense than just letting absolutely anyone in does when it's testing that's being done, though.

I totally agree, when testing is the purpose.  When you are going to launch Live, you take what you can get at that time.  Don't take anything I've said personally.  I didn't intend there to be ammunition behind my word selection.  Choosing any players seems to have already rubbed some of the player base wrong despite there being arguably, valid reasons for choosing those players.  No need to rehash that again if you don't have to.

Go Live, take the players you have at that time.  If the Devs want to white-list beta testers, early account registrations and donors, fine by me but don't wait for them to show up.  Maybe, they get head of the line privilege in next available wave and if they don't show in that wave, it is given away & they will have another opportunity in next wave etc.

It doesn't have to be that complicated(does code already exist for such controls) & none of that is necessary in my opinion but I am on-board with it.  First come first serve would do just fine also.  Any method the developers choose will be just fine with me.  Thank you for beta testing, early registration & your money.  Here is a Live server to play on is the fruit of your labor!
Co-Founder of SONS
Grocer - MBH - Bria
Inkogneedo - MSpy - Bria

Offline Akask

• Community Veteran
  • Force: 5
  • Never Give Up, Never Surrender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 12-01-17, 23:56:43 »
There would be an argument for progress made by beta testers being wiped. It would remove the "favoritism" suspicion (despite there being none nevertheless) and would attract only those players that are vested into the project and are willing to use their own time for SB.

In addition, I would argue that any player who is chosen as a beta tester should be noted on a SB thread as an official "beta tester." Not only giving them credit for their work into the project but to again, keep transparency. Now if the dev team decides to do it closed-doors, I have no quarrels with their decision either way.