Author Topic: Best Professions For PvE  (Read 519 times)

Offline NickWill86

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 1
    • View Profile
Best Professions For PvE
« on: 06-01-17, 03:15:13 »
What would be the best 10 person group for PvE? 2 medics, 5 commandos, 2 officers, 1 spy? I have no idea, im wondering.

Offline Decilation

• SWG Ensign
  • Force: 65
  • A Relic of the Past.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Professions For PvE
« Reply #1 on: 06-01-17, 03:39:22 »
In my personal opinion...

1 LSJ Tank
1 Commando Tank
2 Medics
1 Officer

That's the core group. You can change out what tanks you bring, but it's best to keep it different to avoid having too many of a single class present.

For DPS? That's tricky.
Spy
Commando
DSJ
Smuggler
Bounty Hunter

Sure, one of each could work, but it's not always possible to achieve such a thing. DSJ can do a lot of burst damage and act as a 'back-up tank' in case one of the tanks falls due to his self-healing powers.

BH is good for snares etc, which as is the rule of all MMO's ever - CC = High Importance.

Smugglers have PW and such to stun, but of course is also highly viable for DPS and has the ability to call their companion for that little bit of extra DPS.

Spy is good to bring due to their high DPS output, but also are able to take out a target behind enemy lines if need be. Or, run back and kill a mob that you forgot to bring down where necessary.

And obviously, Commandos are viable for way too many reasons as DPS, as well. So when it comes to your DPS group, it's really what's available unless you're forming a full-time guild group for heroics etc.

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
  • Force: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-01-17, 04:03:17 »
What would be the best 10 person group for PvE? 2 medics, 5 commandos, 2 officers, 1 spy? I have no idea, im wondering.
What kind of PvE content do you mean, exactly? If you are talking about Heroic Encounters (raids), you can only have up to eight players. As Decilation indicated, standard holy trinity rules apply: main tank, off tank, four dps, and two healers. As far as which classes, generally it's better to have more variety. Part of the rationale is so players aren't all competing for the same loot, but also because redundancies in classes means certain abilities won't stack which can hurt overall group DPS. If you have more than one commando, for example, make sure the weapon they are using has a different element as I don't believe they stack (I might be wrong as it's been six years).

In my opinion, having at least one officer is an absolute must for their AOE burst, their group buffs, and their stims. Spies are great for their DOTs and burst. Commandos are also great for DOTs and insane damage mitigation. DSJ have always been incredibly power (too powerful IMO) and deal massive amounts of burst damage. Bounty Hunters and Smugglers also aren't too shabby, with both classes generating an impressive amount of burst damage. You really can't go wrong with any of the classes, although I think some are more suited for PvP than PvE. As long as the player using the class is competent and has the proper gear, you should be fine.

It's honestly going to be rough for everybody until players start getting their 5-piece jewelry sets. That will be one of the first things I do, beyond just completing the entirety of the Master Jedi Cloaks Collection as fast as possible.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

First Daggerfall Emperor of Cyrodiil on Bloodthorn Campaign in ESO (2014):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2juurXQyAtQ

Voted best PvP Light Side Jedi and Melee PvPer on Shadowfire in SWG (2009, 2010)

Offline NickWill86

• Sr. Community Member
  • Force: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-01-17, 08:25:30 »
Im more talking about, just roaming planets and killing what ever is in sight.

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-01-17, 08:42:44 »
Im more talking about, just roaming planets and killing what ever is in sight.
You won't really need a large party for that, as once you get to level 90 most random NPCs should be trash mobs at best. There are certainly instances that are more challenging, such as Death Watch Bunker, HK-47, or Geonosian Lab. I suppose you could also hunt world bosses, such as the Gorax. Otherwise, you'd really probably be fine with anything..

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Voted best PvP Light Side Jedi and Melee PvPer on Shadowfire in SWG (2009, 2010)

Offline bahdasz

• Contributor
  • Force: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-01-17, 08:59:30 »
Commando

Offline lasod

• Advisor
  • Force: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-01-17, 12:18:29 »
when a lucky smuggler ticks lucky and has officer and medic support its gonna wipe everything

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-01-17, 05:34:20 »
when a lucky smuggler ticks lucky and has officer and medic support its gonna wipe everything
Or, what I do is hit saber reflect and watch the smuggler kill himself/herself in amusement. The problem with smugglers is while they have incredibly burst and stuns, they eat up their action almost immediately. It's really a one trick pony class and you can't afford to not kill the target on that first cycle of attacks.

Offline lasod

• Advisor
  • Force: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-01-17, 06:20:38 »
Or, what I do is hit saber reflect and watch the smuggler kill himself/herself in amusement. The problem with smugglers is while they have incredibly burst and stuns, they eat up their action almost immediately. It's really a one trick pony class and you can't afford to not kill the target on that first cycle of attacks.

in pvp yes glass cannons are very fragile, however a pistol to the skull to keep a bathrobe from running away makes for a entertaining pwny show

but for the topic at hand in pve, with support that refreshes action pool, lucky build smuggler steals all the agro

Offline starrunner

• Sr. Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07-01-17, 08:51:02 »
Glass cannon my a$$  8)

But yes....that LS jedi or commando is easier to play and that meddic and offy always get an invite ☺
« Last Edit: 07-01-17, 09:26:19 by starrunner »
Old Smuggy, Medic, Offy, Jedi, Spy, Commando and crafters
Master pilot all factions/squadrons

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-01-17, 00:44:08 »
Glass cannon my a$$  8)

But yes....that LS jedi or commando is easier to play and that meddic and offy always get an invite ☺
Just because you could stack a bunch of constitution and agility as a smuggler doesn't mean you should... I'm almost 100% positive that build would not have been viable in Heroics and especially not PvP. You'd be nerfing your DPS considerably in order to make your smuggler something he really isn't. Any smuggler, at least in PvP, that was even worth discussing was a glass cannon, because they could kill you before blaster whip wore off (which was four seconds if I recall). I can't imagine that build you were using was anything more than mediocre at best. Why would you need so much health and agility anyway? It's not like you are a tank, and without a certain amount of DPS you aren't likely to kill anything in PvP before you die anyway.

I will definitely agree that commando is the easiest class in the game and it will be played by most of the community. The same is not true of LSJ though (DSJ is very easy though), as tanks have limited use in PvP (unless you know how to use them) and even LSJ is arguably not as good as a commando tank (stand fast was always OP and that DOT stacking is killer). Almost everybody that was a Jedi in PvP was always Dark Side Jedi and that was largely the case for Heroics as well. Light Side Jedi were a rarity at endgame, on my server at least.

Medics and officers get invites for the obvious reason that they make life a lot easier due to their group buffs and utility.

Offline starrunner

• Sr. Community Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08-01-17, 01:14:49 »
Yeah.....I'm pretty sure my fan shot was down to 15k with that build and with to spies with 100% 9k9 strike through each, I would only have 8k life back 😟

Nah....it would be useless.......(I assume I was fairly buffed on that pic BTW)

Kidding.....a comando is uch more viable, but sooooo boring to play.
I had to play the smuggy on heroics due to jemelry, but I liked it better as medic and offy. Especially offy
« Last Edit: 08-01-17, 01:18:57 by starrunner »
Old Smuggy, Medic, Offy, Jedi, Spy, Commando and crafters
Master pilot all factions/squadrons

Offline Aowin

• Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08-01-17, 01:27:14 »
Yeah.....I'm pretty sure my fan shot was down to 15k with that build and with to spies with 100% 9k9 strike through each, I would only have 8k life back 😟

Nah....it would be useless.......(I assume I was fairly buffed on that pic BTW)

Kidding.....a comando is uch more viable, but sooooo boring to play.
I had to play the smuggy on heroics due to jemelry, but I liked it better as medic and offy. Especially offy
I assume so as there's no way you would have been anywhere near that without group buffs from an ent, medic, probably an officer, food and drink, etc., even with a 35 suit.

Commandos are incredibly boring, but so OP. Everybody and there mom was using a commando, at least it felt that way. Even players that were terrible at playing commandos in PvP were still annoying because of stand fast, stacking DOTs, etc. It didn't help that most classes don't have very good cleanses, if any. I really never understood why SOE did not nerf commando. I preferred when commandos at the start of the NGE had to weapon swap to stack DOTs.

I did play a smuggler, but not as long as I wanted to. I was working on the contraband missions so I could get the range boost for the class, but never got around to finishing it. I did also play an officer and that was a lot of fun. It was easy to kill me, but I could drop an entire group in a matter of seconds if I popped everything and lit them up with burst AOE. That was a lot of fun. I might make another officer, although I felt they were slightly boring to play in Heroics.